Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 AM

Default We Interrupt This Call . . .

Commerce 40-80. All hell breaks loose. Pre-flop it's capped with 6-way action. Guy on the button obviously has pocket aces. Just before the flop his 16-year old daughter calls him with an important problem.

Flop comes 6-5-3. It's bet, called, and raised in front of him. He pauses a moment, and says into the phone:

"Daddy call you back."
Old 06-09-2006, 05:55 AM

Default Re: We Interrupt This Call . . .

[ QUOTE ]
Commerce 40-80. All hell breaks loose. Pre-flop it's capped with 6-way action. Guy on the button obviously has pocket aces. Just before the flop his 16-year old daughter calls him with an important problem.

Flop comes 6-5-3. It's bet, called, and raised in front of him. He pauses a moment, and says into the phone:

"Daddy call you back."

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad that didn't happen at my room. "Sir, your hand is dead for looking at the phone while you have cards."

I can see the impending explosion now...
Old 06-09-2006, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"Daddy call ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Verbal action is binding. He can't 3-bet or fold.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:21 AM

Would have been great if he said "Guess what sweetie, I'm bringing you home a car after this."
Old 06-09-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Daddy call you back."

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad that didn't happen at my room. "Sir, your hand is dead for looking at the phone while you have cards."

I can see the impending explosion now...

[/ QUOTE ]

What room is this so I can make sure to never visit? I know that some places have this rule, but it still amazes me that poker rooms want to cut off their guests from the outside world.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just before the flop his 16-year old thai boyfriend calls him with an important problem.

"Daddy call you back."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-09-2006, 10:57 AM

Foxwoods used to be the worst I've ever seen about this. They've calmed down a little the couple of times I've been in the new room -- now you can take a phone call well away from the tables without them spazzing out.

I was told that many Vegas poker rooms are located next to the sports book, hence phones are forbidden there.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Foxwoods used to be the worst I've ever seen about this. They've calmed down a little the couple of times I've been in the new room -- now you can take a phone call well away from the tables without them spazzing out.

I was told that many Vegas poker rooms are located next to the sports book, hence phones are forbidden there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the phones are forbidden next to the sports book. I have no problem with rooms that require you to step away/leave the room whiel on the phone; I do have a huge problem wiht places that want to kill hands because someone answers a call they get. There is nothing wrong with someone answering the phone and say, just a minute and putting down the phone. To suggest that someone that receives important calls chose between continuing a hand they have money invested in and answering a call is crazy. I remember in days before cell phones (or at least before they were everywhere) at sporting events and such Drs could check in with a customer service desk (I think it had another name, but the name escapes me) and tell them where they werre sitting so they could come fid them if they recieved a phone call; if MLB can accomodate a Dr on-call shouldn't a poker room (I think a DR on-call might be just the sort of guest you want in the room). Note: there are some places that ban electronic devices at the tables per gaming regulation, I am not talking about taking on gaming commissions, I am only referring to places that just decide to have this rule (most likely becasue someoen that is in charge there used to work some place where it was mandated by law and they don'pt understand the difference).
Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 AM

And the reason I've heard given for Foxwoods' silly anal policy regarding cellphones was they don't want anyone taking pictures with their cellphone cameras. Maybe it was just a particularly moronic floorguy.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:30 AM

It wasn't.