Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Re: PS 20/180: Fishhooks on the first hand

my thoughts are so.. preflop your raise isn't too big for a MTT and i have a feeling MP1 called because of his odds and people hate tossing hands once invested. On the flop, the smooth call of MP1 makes me think he has a 6, 77, A7, or OESD.. my thoughts on this turn are to overbet the pot making it look as though you hit a jack and are isolating. Reasons here are, AQ flush draw will call here for odds to overcard hit, 6 will smooth call thinking he has you trapped, as will 7.. no one thinks you are betting JJ or your diamond draw so play aggressive and keep them calling.. because if you bet small and they raise and you call.. then they wonder if they are best with A-6
Old 03-23-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my thoughts are so.. preflop your raise isn't too big for a MTT and i have a feeling MP1 called because of his odds and people hate tossing hands once invested. On the flop, the smooth call of MP1 makes me think he has a 6, 77, A7, or OESD.. my thoughts on this turn are to overbet the pot making it look as though you hit a jack and are isolating. Reasons here are, AQ flush draw will call here for odds to overcard hit, 6 will smooth call thinking he has you trapped, as will 7.. no one thinks you are betting JJ or your diamond draw so play aggressive and keep them calling.. because if you bet small and they raise and you call.. then they wonder if they are best with A-6

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this makes any sense.

If we bet, and they raise. We're all in, or so close to it that it doesn't matter.

I don't see how overbetting the flop can possibly be a good idea. <-- on the turn that is.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM

You raised preflop, C-bet the flop and he checks the turn. I throw out a weakish bet, like 300. It shows weakness and looks like you are just firing another bullet. I do not check behind on the turn. Most of the time AK or small pair is not going to fire on a missed river. So, on the turn, I bet for value, feigning weakness and hope to induce a sizable c/r.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:04 PM

I think your range for MP1 on the very first hand of a SNG is ridiculously tight. What about an overpair to the board, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, etc. This is the first hand of a 20/180.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:04 PM

One other thing I'll throw out there.

If I happened to check behind on the turn, I'd push the river.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:05 PM

Really? You think a push > value bet on the river? You figure anything he'll call a value bet, he'll call a push with?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough.

Quickie results.

I basically opted for the ZBT line. For some reason I decided I had to bet more than I did on the flop, so I bet 400 instead of 300, and Villain folded. In hindsight, I was debating bet-check-bet as schauvit suggested, and wanted to see what the consensus here was.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW

I like a check better than a bet. Villian doesn't check the flop and turn with any hand that can catch up to you. (AA,KK,QQ) and turn bet may force him to fold a hand that is drawing dead.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? You think a push > value bet on the river? You figure anything he'll call a value bet, he'll call a push with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I overbet rivers alot when I have super strong hands. People always seem to think I'm weak and will call down with almost any piece. Just a personal thing though.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I overbet rivers alot when I have super strong hands. People always seem to think I'm weak and will call down with almost any piece. Just a personal thing though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I usually go for the value bet. I guess if you push 10 times and get called once, that's probably more +cEV in the long run than if you value bet 10 times and get called 5 times.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I usually go for the value bet. I guess if you push 10 times and get called once, that's probably more +cEV in the long run than if you value bet 10 times and get called 5 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

A really good example of this happened to be about a week ago in the 55K.

We're just after the break, I've got 20K+ and so does one oher stack. I raise PF w/ KQo and the flop comes K-K-Q.

He checks, I bet the flop he calls.
He checks, I check behind planning on trapping him
He bets into me, I push for like...a zillion bb's and he insta-calls w/ AQ.