Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: TD and relative position

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on what sort of bad players they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, of course, but let's classify the types of bad players and talk about relative position relative to
them.

[/ QUOTE ]

At a full table I want the biggest LAGs (like the player I described- on my left). 4-handed or less I want position on them.

I hate a button who is always raising my big blind frequently.

I love a player who plays badly in my small blind- but I would prefer him to be on the passive side I think- not sure it matters too much.

I like having tight/passives on my right because it is easy to outplay them and they are usually very predicable.

I'm sure we can name some different types of bad players but I can't think of them right now.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate a button who is always raising my big blind frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get used to it, there is a benefit in allowing them to beat up on you in the blinds. You will begin to see this as you start to play in bigger games where there are no soft players.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you just don't know some good ways to deal with a LAG fish on your left. That said it certainly is easiest with them on your right. In TDL and holdem and all poker games I can think of.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps so, although I am sure you would grant me that one loses a lot of flexibility when one has a maniac behind one in HE.

This discussion has degenerated due to me being inarticulate. So, I will restate the question. I note that Theory of Poker has the following quote at page 161:

"Position is important in relation to the playing style of the other players in the game. You prefer to have the loose, aggressive player in the game sitting to your right and the tight, conservative player to your left. Then you can usually decide how to play your hand after the aggressive player has acted, while you don't have to worry about many surprises from the conservative player. You are also in a better position to control the aggressive player and indeed trap him into mistakes."

Now, of course, a "good" TD player, and HE player for that matter, is not a tight, conservative player. But still the natural tendency is to sit right behind the loosie.

However, I am not sure that should be the main factor to consider in selecting a seat in TD. Let's say for example the game is 4 handed. There is a seat next to the weak spot in the game. He plays too many hands and takes them too far. Not super aggressive. In the seat behind that is a very good player. The seat immediately behind him is a very good player that is judicious in selecting hands, uses position well, and can be tricky at appropriate times. There's a seat behind him. The other two players are solid, but nothing special.

Where do you sit?

What if the bad player is more on the aggressive side?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get used to it, there is a benefit in allowing them to beat up on you in the blinds. You will begin to see this as you start to play in bigger games where there are no soft players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the benefit? Is it so valuable that you cannot tell us?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the benefit? Is it so valuable that you cannot tell us?

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all, but if you know my style at all then you would know that I like to encourage thought process rather than give the definitive answer. A few things to consider:
- the average cost to see the river
- the amount of information you get from your opponent when playing out of position
- the advantage your opponent has when he is last to act
- how over-aggressive players tend to spew chips.
- The #1 error a TAG makes - this one is going to be interesting!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Where do you sit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I a fish?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 AM

In 2-7/everything, I always prefer to be on the left of loose players. You'll have position on them more times than they'll have position on you. The difference between Holdem/2-7 for me is when playing with tight players. In Holdem I prefer that I'm on their right, especially shorthanded, because I want to be able to treat the CO as a second button. In 2-7 I don't care as much because there are a lot more hands that I'm going to be able to 3bet comfortably with than in Holdem, and I will have position on them. If I'm first to open that's nice, but I will unfortunately be OOP against them for the rest of the hand. This said, I think being first to open is definitely favorable in lower games where opponents are fairly predictable. If I played higher I'm guessing I'd still like to be on their right, simply for the reason that if a loose player is on my right, I would have first chance at isolating them.

If there is more than one available seat then I would get the one with best position on a loose player, specifically NOT OOP against them. While it's nice to be in a good position against a tight player, you're going to make way more being in a good spot against terrible loose idiots than against solid players.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 AM

I suppose that matters too. You should decide for yourself.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 AM

I think the number one error a TAG makes is breaking when he or she shouldn't. This probably is not what you have in mind.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- The #1 error a TAG makes - this one is going to be interesting!

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it's not controlling the size of the pot.