Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 AM

Default WSOP ME hand #3 - My cards are basically face up on \"scary\" board

Main villian in this hand arrived 30 minutes late. He has been at the table for 10 minutes so I really have no read on him, other than he hasn't really done anything crazy in 10 hands.

I have about 7500 chips to start the hand. I doubt he has any read on me either.

Level 1, 25/50 blinds.

He limps in the hijack, having me covered. Button, a tight solid player, limps. SB completes. I look down at black kings and raise to 300. Only villian calls.

Flop is A 9 7r. This seems like a WA/WB situation, although there is some straight draws out there. I decide to check here and play conservatively. He bets 500, I call.

Turn is a 6. I check, he checks.

River is a 5. I am really lost now with a 1750 pot. I check again, basically signifying I have a big pair lower than AA and hate the board. He throws out 1500. Call or Fold?

Looking for advice on previous streets as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Re: WSOP ME hand #3 - My cards are basically face up on \"scary\" board

I can't think of a hand your ahead of that would bet that river. If he was betting some sort of straight draw on the flop he got there. Can't put him on pairs like 10-QQ as he most likely opens with those from the cutoff and PP (55-99) have you beat. Seems like a fold to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of a hand your ahead of that would bet that river. If he was betting some sort of straight draw on the flop he got there. Can't put him on pairs like 10-QQ as he most likely opens with those from the cutoff and PP (55-99) have you beat. Seems like a fold to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously it's either a bluff or the straight/set.

I think that's established.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Level 1, 25/50 blinds.

He limps in the hijack, having me covered. Button, a tight solid player, limps. SB completes. I look down at black kings and raise to 300. Only villian calls.

Flop is A 9 7r. This seems like a WA/WB situation, although there is some straight draws out there. I decide to check here and play conservatively. He bets 500, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. If you had bet the flop, he would have folded his 88 and you wouldn't have this situation.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Level 1, 25/50 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. If you had bet the flop, he would have folded his 88 and you wouldn't have this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok buddy;

1) He didn't have 88.

2) I am betting to protect against hands that are way behind. It might be more +EV to check here and induce some bluffs. I am willing to discuss this and the river decision.

You don't always need to bet to take a pot down if there are other ways to play it.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 AM

I C/C this flop all day.

Just had an idea.

How about a turn blocking bet? Maybe I'm being results oriented, but what about half-potting it or so on the turn and then checking the river?

I think you'll get calls from worse hands a lot because raising from the BB then c/c/lead isn't exactly screaming AX. Does this let Villain 3-bet us with air too often though?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Level 1, 25/50 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How come any time anyone starts a thread where he's WA/WB, people say "bet so that he folds the hands you beat"?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:04 AM

I think this is a fold on the river. That bet's big and looks like a value bet.

Also, I'm not convinced that this isn't an A... I think lots of people play an A this way.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Level 1, 25/50 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How come any time anyone starts a thread where he's WA/WB, people say "bet so that he folds the hands you beat"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people are dumb and not good at poker.

Hi, Evenkeal.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 02:52 AM

i dont think that just because it's WA/WB we should automatically just check/call. What other hands are we check calling this flop? As the OP says, it turns our hand face up, and makes it very hard for us to play the hand well. I say we go ahead and let him play perfect, and take the pot down on the flop.

We have very little to gain by extending this hand out onto further streets.