Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 PM

Default preflop

45/5 fish openlimps, somebody else raises otb and you have A9o in sb. what is the lowest pfr the button has to have for you to play? Do you call or 3-bet?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: preflop

probably want them to have a pfr of at least 18. Also it would help if I know they are a reg so they are trying to iso raise.

Probably also depends on how loose they are. If they are super loose I probably 3-bet and try to knock out the BB and the limper and get it HU with dead money in the pot.

If the BB and the limper both play horribly it might be better to call and let them add some money to the pot and be there to pay me off when I hit.

If the fish never folds, and the button is a TAG that will fold some on the flop, then I think it would be much better of 3-balling because I can conceivably fold out the button on the flop if he doesn't improve.

That is a lot of what-ifs, and it depends, but frankly this is a borderline situation where the play really depends on 1) how bad the limper is 2) how aware the button is of iso-raising 3) who is in the BB and 4) will I have any chance of folding out the button raiser assuming I don't improve on the flop.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:17 PM

i've pretty much stayed out of this spot lately unless the button is more of a factor than the limperfish.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM

"1) how bad the limper is"
he's 45/5, how good can he be?

"2) how aware the button is of iso-raising"
let's say, you only have 100 hands on these guys and you don't recognize the screen names.

"3) who is in the BB"
joepokerstars 35/15

"4) will I have any chance of folding out the button raiser assuming I don't improve on the flop."
button has reasonable AF and he knows your pf stats (let's say you're 33/24).
Old 09-14-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"1) how bad the limper is"
he's 45/5, how good can he be?

"2) how aware the button is of iso-raising"
let's say, you only have 100 hands on these guys and you don't recognize the screen names.

"3) who is in the BB"
joepokerstars 35/15

"4) will I have any chance of folding out the button raiser assuming I don't improve on the flop."
button has reasonable AF and he knows your pf stats (let's say you're 33/24).

[/ QUOTE ]

wow its close. if we assume the BB plays decent then I think it is 3-bet or fold time. And then it probably just depends on the button. If he raises at least 18-20% of the time and I think he will make some mistakes postflop (and I lean more towards the tight side than spewing) then I think you can definitely find value in 3-betting regardless of whether the limper calls.

But I think I really have to have a better handle on the button. If he is a bad LAG I'll 3-bet it up. If he seems to be a solid TAG it is going to play tough in that position.

basically I don't think there is anything wrong with folding, but I think there is value here if the button plays bad enough to compensate for the fact that you have horrible position and are building a pot that is unlikely to get you any fold equity on the flop.

how bad does the button have to be? I don't know, but I'm at work so thinking about this is infinitely more interesting than the [censored] I should be doing right now.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've pretty much stayed out of this spot lately unless the button is more of a factor than the limperfish.

[/ QUOTE ]
I coldcall a lot here and am afraid its burning money.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:13 PM

coldcalling oop seems to be the worst of the 3 options imo. I would think that you sacrifice so much value doing so.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:39 PM

I agree with others that the cold-call is probably the worst of the options: I would fold 1st, re-reraise 2nd and cold call 3rd. Not overly excited about playing the hand out of position, and often dominated by the button, and often having fishy player hanging around as well. Button would have to be 25% for me to go to option 2 (re-raise).
Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM

I muck, but I don't mind a cc with ATo in this spot vs an unknown BU (unlikely to get it HU, good relative position, don't have much idea about BU's capping range), so it seems at least kind of close.

Edit to equivocate some more.