Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: iPhone

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does it have GPS built in?

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt it. But for $100, you can get a bluetooth gps hockeypuck that'll do the gpsing for you.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, I have one at the moment (for route finder software on my PDA), but it's just another thing to forget to carry around... I'm tempted to sew it into my jacket or something, but I digress.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for $100, you can get a bluetooth gps hockeypuck that'll do the gpsing for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, I have one at the moment (for route finder software on my PDA), but it's just another thing to forget to carry around.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you often gps outside the car? I leave mine on the dashboard. I move it to the glove compartment when I'm at all worried about break-ins.
-Sam
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a review in The New York Times by a writer who played with an iphone for about an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Pokermom. Good link.

[ QUOTE ]
* Typing is difficult. The letter keys are just pictures on the glass screen, so of course there’s no tactile feedback.

Software helps a lot. You can afford to make a lot of typos as you muddle through a word, because the software analyzes which keys you *might* have meant and figures out the word you wanted. Its best guess appears just under what you’ve typed; if it’s correct, you tap the Space bar to accept it and continue. I typed a couple of e-mail messages with lots of typos but eventually 100 percent accuracy, thanks to this auto-correct feature. (My testing didn’t involve proper names, however.)

Bottom line: Heavy BlackBerry addicts may not want to jump ship just yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh oh well... next gen for me...

-Al
Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
* Typing is difficult. The letter keys are just pictures on the glass screen, so of course there’s no tactile feedback.

Software helps a lot. You can afford to make a lot of typos as you muddle through a word, because the software analyzes which keys you *might* have meant and figures out the word you wanted. Its best guess appears just under what you’ve typed; if it’s correct, you tap the Space bar to accept it and continue. I typed a couple of e-mail messages with lots of typos but eventually 100 percent accuracy, thanks to this auto-correct feature. (My testing didn’t involve proper names, however.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder, if I'm willing to use a stylus, can I use a stylus to improve accuracy? I usually have a click ballpoint pen in my pocket. An unclicked pen makes a pretty good subsitute; I just worry about hard plastic on a screen they intended for me to poke w/ my finger.

I also wonder if there'll be some OSX app to let me use graffiti, since poking at a teeny tiny keyboard sucks with or without a stylus.
-Sam
Old 01-10-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

next gen for a large segment of the target audience i suspect. for the iphone to have any chance in the phone/pda market the keyboard needs to be at least as good as that on the blackberry/treo. i can get 60 words per minute on my pearl.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 PM

I feel like this is something that will a non-issue with more than, say, 30 minutes of practice, especially the "tactile feedback" complaint. You didn't start typing 60 wpm immediately, did you?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Tron - I use my Blackberry alot for e-mail if there is even a slight trade-off in speed / efficiency (which I mean obviously we don't know, but sounds like that might be the case even with practice) I will wait.

-Al
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you often gps outside the car? I leave mine on the dashboard. I move it to the glove compartment when I'm at all worried about break-ins.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
I sold my car as soon as I moved to London. I walk home drunk at 3am from random parts of town a lot though.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Al -

This seems like a positive to me w/ re: to typing:

[ QUOTE ]
I typed a couple of e-mail messages with lots of typos but eventually 100 percent accuracy, thanks to this auto-correct feature.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

next gen for a large segment of the target audience i suspect. for the iphone to have any chance in the phone/pda market the keyboard needs to be at least as good as that on the blackberry/treo. i can get 60 words per minute on my pearl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if it's necessary for the phone to have any chance, but it would be huge for this phone if they could get enterprise users. like I already said, tons of people out there would beg their IT departments to replace their Treo or blackberry with this if it's a decent/possible replacement.

otherwise, I still think it's really an expensive phone that doesn't really replace anything that people already own. totally sweet, but expensive, especially when there are alternative phones out there that do like 60% of what this phone does for 1/5 the price. it's not like the Ipod.