Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Default KK am I getting trapped here?

Very early in very cheap PS tourney. No real reads. What made me not want to call here is the suspiciously small flop bet. Is this an easy call? Normally I wouldnt post this but the bet struck me as wanting a call

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t1390)
BB (t1645)
UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t1635)
MP1 (t930)
MP2 (t1680)
MP3 (t1930)
Hero (t1585)
Button (t1235)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t330</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t315, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t210.

Flop: (t1020) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t420</font>, Hero calls t420, SB folds.

Turn: (t1860) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t180 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t180.

River: (t2220) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2220
Old 11-08-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: KK am I getting trapped here?

In a low buy-in and with those stack sizes you have to call. Bet size doesn't mean a lot to many of these players. Even if he does want you to call, you probably have the best hand a lot of the time. Just put him all-in on the flop.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 PM

He's basically only betting 600 on the flop. He may think his AQ, KQ, QJ good here. Easy push.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am I getting trapped here

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No real reads

[/ QUOTE ]

anyways, raise more preflop. around t400 would be good. in a low buyin tourney i have trouble getting away from this.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 PM

I play low buy in MTT's almost exclusively and this bet by him on the flop looks like he is protecting his AQ against a flush draw and trying to get yuo to call at bad odds.
If he had a set (absent any reads) most of the low buy in players would bet a little less here or even check trying to get you to stab at it if you missed on the flop.

You are ahead of too many hands someone will play like this in a low buy in tourney early to not just put him in on the flop.

Don't be discouraged by losing this hand.
As played calling the turn was the correct move.

I agree with Bullet Dodger about raising more pre flop.
You are not laying this hand down too high a % of the time on a non Ace flop considering the stack sizes anyway. Try to get him to put more in pre flop.
If he has Aces that's just bad luck.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:22 PM

Preflop reraise is fine for the stack sizea and your hand. On the flop, there is 1000 in the pot and villain has 600 left. No way in the world you consider folding your over pair. Just raise allin. Maybe he wanted a call and maybe he made his set. If you fold, you need a mental checkup. No offense, but kind of silly post, and some of the replies are also a little silly.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but kind of silly post, and some of the replies are also a little silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually appreciate this part of the post because I am somewhat torn about what hands to post on here. I lurk and come to my own decisions but rarely put in advice or hands so I need to evaluate what I am adding.
Thought this would be a good question obviously b/c I lost. Flip side,for new players it is somewhat difficult to evaluate what are good places to post and ask and what are obvious so take that into mind as well