Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 AM

Default I Cant lose or the world falls apart

Ive been playing poker seriously starting mid june playing freerolls, then 10nl and since the start i ran well in thos 10nl, i set up a goal for 450$ a month and i accoplished it easily in two months in a row, but everytime i lost even if i was like a massive winner for the week, i was unable to sleep all this sick thoughts of me losing everything and poker vanishing and me losing everything were around me. I have never ever have a losing week in all this months and still i cant sleep when i lose, even if its like 1 buyin. This septamber i set up a goal for 1k a month between 10nl, 25nl, 50nl and in 15 days i have already 1k but today i lost like 50 dollars which is 1 buyin in 50nl and im like hugely sad. what i want to say is taht even if i run nicely and all crushing my goals everytime i lose i have to think about othes stuff in life cuz i feel poker is done, even a if its a min loss like today.

And what worries me is that it not only happens in the big picture but hand after hand, if im up like for 5-6 buyins nad i lose 1 i tilt massively.

Im not sure well im sure it is bad im not sure though if its helpful for my game, maybe i fear so much to lose that i do extremley well i think not haivng a losing week in 12 of them aprox is nice but still how can all of you guys control losing? Any advice? Do i need weed? Am i crazy i would really appreciate advice

Maybe there is no advice but just posting and reading the forum and how every1 goes tolosing streaks helps a lot

Regards

Luis
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Re: I Cant lose or the world falls apart

If this is a brag then you should have posted elsewhere.

If not, then quite often this behaviour is because the money is too important. Perhaps you are playing stakes that you are really not comfortable with.

To be truely successful long term you have to accept sometimes you will lose no matter who you are or how good you played.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 AM

I dont think the op is bragging, rather showing us how his tilt monster evolves.

Goal, play well,
Goal, dont play badly

"try not 2 be results orientated". Get your jollies by making the right play, not focusing on the $won or lost, ESPECIALLY in the short term
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM

Expect to have a high number of losing sessions all the time, because thats the game you chose to play.

Play for the longterm and dont think in money, but in good decision making

and dont look at your bankroll all the time
Old 09-18-2007, 09:47 AM

Not enough experience to handle with such loses.

I lost today for the 8th time with KK vs AA preflop all in in 30k hands. I don't really care because I know it's variance.

I kinda found a way not to care about losing a hand or winning one. I play for the rakeback, I only cash out rakeback which is about 1.4k and that's fine.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 PM

stop playing poker i'm afraid if you go on a REAL downswing you might be a danger for yourself or the people around you
Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM

You definately care about the money too much. Its normal to feel upset after a loss but you just have to analyze the hand and see if you played like an idiot or if you just got unlucky.

If you played like an idiot then ask yourself what you should have done differently and try to apply that next time you find yourself in a similar situation. If you got unlucky then just chalk it up to bad luck, and move along. Don't let the past influence the future.

I used to have the same problem, I would feel sick after losses. Especially after losing money that I had just worked very hard to win. One thing that helped me get over it was doing what I suggested above. Another thing that helped me was losing a lot of money when I was taking shots at higher limits. Losing the money at higher limits eventually numbed the pain and stopped me from caring about the money as much because I *knew* I could win it back at lower limits.

btw if you're up 5 or 6 buyins, why not logoff? How much better can the day get?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive been playing poker seriously starting mid june playing freerolls, then 10nl

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not called serious lmao.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but everytime i lost even if i was like a massive winner for the week, i was unable to sleep all this sick thoughts of me losing everything and poker vanishing and me losing everything were around me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You sound like a basketcase. Poker isn't your underlying problem. Find out what is and fix it.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 AM

I've got a bit of the same. I can win $100, then lose $20 to a bad beat and I just can't let it go. It feels like someone stole the money from me and I have to get it back, I want justice.

I notice it happening, and I tell myself how stupid it is, and I tell myself that bad beats happen in poker and you're bound to run into them. But somehow this feeling still gets to me a little bit.

I also have a weird thing about always wanting to be at a personal best for total poker winnings. Most days I would win and get the total even higher, and all was right with the world. But even if I won 10 days in a row, one losing day would just annoy me to no end until I won it back and got to a new high mark in winnings.

I even played extremely tight and made -EV plays just to avoid downswings whenever possible. Anyway, I eventually tired of all my personal stupidity and frustration with the game and quit. I'd recommend you quit too. Poker isn't worth dealing with all this.

I'd also agree with Ganjasaurus, if you're losing sleep and feeling like your world could disappear... you might want to do something about that.