Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Why are some people not Christian?

This has been something that has pestered me lately and I just don't think it makes sense inuitively to not be. Even more important and what I'm truly getting at is why do people not believe? I know there are satanics and other religions who do not believe in God but there are also people who do not have ANY FAITH whatsoever and my question is why?

1. It doesn't make psychological sense.
2. So the earth was made by whom then? ;- )
3. Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

I'm sure there are more people who can add to this in detail but this is what I could come up with on a moments notice.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Why are some people not Christian?

in before the flames!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been something that has pestered me lately and I just don't think it makes sense inuitively to not be. Even more important and what I'm truly getting at is why do people not believe? I know there are satanics and other religions who do not believe in God but there are also people who do not have ANY FAITH whatsoever and my question is why?

3. Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

I'm sure there are more people who can add to this in detail but this is what I could come up with on a moments notice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your right it just makes no sense. Einstein said much the same thing.

chez
Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 AM

Since you put so little effort into your argument, I'll just refute your points instead of actively proving you wrong.

1. "Psychological sense?" WTF is that? Is that where the idea that there's a man in the sky that takes care of all your needs and makes you happy for eternity is comfortable? Is that psychological sense? I suppose believing in Santa Claus makes pyschological sense too. Too bad it doesn't make actual sense.

2. Why does there have to be a human-like being to make the earth. Obviously, something somewhere wasn't created by an outside force. You think God wasn't created by an outside force, I think the earth wasn't. What's the difference. Well except that we actually know the earth was created and there's no evidence whatsoever of a god, especially a Christian one.

3. You have nothing to gain by basing your life around a storybook. If it's "the word of God", then why didn't anyone see God speak it? All we can see is a book written by men that wanted to control other people.

Here's a better question. Why are you Christian? I bet I can answer it pretty succinctly.

1. You grew up in a region where most of the people around you were Christian. Since they said Christianity was true, you believed them.

2. It's comfortable. You get to believe that you'll be completely happy in "heaven" after death and even get to feel superior over others about your silly belief.

3. You've never bothered to actually question your faith and see that there was no foundation behind it. There's no evidence that any of this is true other than some stories that parallel stories that are known to be false such as Greek mythology, and stories that you believe to be false such as the Quran.

I could go into more detail to actually explain why I'm convinced there's no personal God, but I think countering your points and pointing out the lack of thought behind your belief is good enough for now.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 AM

I hate to invoke FSP, but why would you be Christian when you could be Pastafarian? You must be really be nuts or something!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to invoke FSP, but why would you be Christian when you could be Pastafarian? You must be really be nuts or something!

[/ QUOTE ] You are not funny.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you put so little effort into your argument, I'll just refute your points instead of actively proving you wrong.

1. "Psychological sense?" WTF is that? Is that where the idea that there's a man in the sky that takes care of all your needs and makes you happy for eternity is comfortable? Is that psychological sense? I suppose believing in Santa Claus makes pyschological sense too. Too bad it doesn't make actual sense.

2. Why does there have to be a human-like being to make the earth. Obviously, something somewhere wasn't created by an outside force. You think God wasn't created by an outside force, I think the earth wasn't. What's the difference. Well except that we actually know the earth was created and there's no evidence whatsoever of a god, especially a Christian one.

3. You have nothing to gain by basing your life around a storybook. If it's "the word of God", then why didn't anyone see God speak it? All we can see is a book written by men that wanted to control other people.

Here's a better question. Why are you Christian? I bet I can answer it pretty succinctly.

1. You grew up in a region where most of the people around you were Christian. Since they said Christianity was true, you believed them.

2. It's comfortable. You get to believe that you'll be completely happy in "heaven" after death and even get to feel superior over others about your silly belief.

3. You've never bothered to actually question your faith and see that there was no foundation behind it. There's no evidence that any of this is true other than some stories that parallel stories that are known to be false such as Greek mythology, and stories that you believe to be false such as the Quran.

I could go into more detail to actually explain why I'm convinced there's no personal God, but I think countering your points and pointing out the lack of thought behind your belief is good enough for now.

[/ QUOTE ] You're reasonings are trite, incorrect, and lacking fundamentals.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont have faith because, in my opinion, a world without God fits the facts better than a world with God. In reply to your points:

1. Most people seem to think I am psychologically fit, despite not believing in God.
2. I think the laws of physics operated in the universe and the Earth (amongst other things) resulted.
3. I may have nothing to lose, but that doesnt change the fact that I dont believe. Even if there was an awful lot to gain - I still dont believe, so just saying I do wouldnt do much good would it?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 AM

Those who do not want to understand, won't. I love free agency!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:57 AM

Trust me - I would love to understand.