Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Donk/fold the river

From time to time I find myself in river spots out of position where I think the book says „donk and fold to a raise“ because the check/call approach would give away value in case it is checked behind. Unfortunately in many of these spots I have trouble doing it because a) folding the river with a decent pair feels bad and b) I fear being fooled. This is the recent experience with this phenomenon.

Villain is 29/19/2,2

30/60 6-handed

Hero opens in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls.

River A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero thinks „Probably I should donk/fold here, but this guy is tricky, can I safely fold to a raise? Hmm, I guess I better post this hand.“
Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Donk/fold the river

I am betting villian raises a straight draw or flush draw very often here and is confirmed on the turn raise when both are completed. I am lost on this river. C/C is my normal play which is wrong but I can't bring myself to b/f because I know I will b/payoff. in the end.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Also one last thougth I want to see the villians hand for information purposes so I know what he is capable of pushing. The more I think about it C/C seems right.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM

i convince myself they coudl be bluffing every time they raise and they never are [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM

i would indeed bet/fold. it would be illogical for him to run a pure bluff on this board since a. it's so drawy that he will be called down very often and b. it's so drawy that it's likely to have hit you in some way so a bluff will be very expensive, often costing 3 barrels. thus, he usually has some hand on the river here that can at least call a bet, and in conjunction with that point, he will rarely have a hand that will need to bluff raise if it wants any chance of winning.

i would be much less inclined to bet/fold if the action was the same but the board was 2279A for example.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i convince myself they coudl be bluffing every time they raise and they never are [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes this terrible bet/call.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it would be illogical for him to run a pure bluff on this board since a. it's so drawy that he will be called down very often and b. it's so drawy that it's likely to have hit you in some way so a bluff will be very expensive

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt it the other way around? The turn was where the draws came in and if i had hit i would have probably checkraised or donked the turn. So with this riverdonk i more or less expose my hand as the one it is: a vulnerable rivered TP that probably wont stand any heat because if my opponent raises i have to assume he is the one who has been hit by this drawy board.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me, too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM

You are very close to correct. But I will generally play this board all the way with little or nothing early in a session, because I want to get "caught". Later in the evening, I will generally have something to show at the river.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]