Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Cheap places in Europe?

I think I really am underestimating the costs here but that's all I can afford at the moment. I think I'll choose a cheaper place and with the help of couchsurfing, hopefully it would be easier. I always wanted to try this style of traveling.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Travelling on the cheap is great. But there's a difference between travelling on teh cheap (normal backpacking) and what you're talking about. Look at going through South America.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 PM

This was the view from the most expensive room I rented in Malaysia ($16/night). Most of the time I spent less than half that, but I decided to splurge at the beach.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 PM

Funny you might mention this. I live in Malaysia. The beaches are awesome here.

What do you guys think about working + traveling in Europe? I mean I can stay at cheap backpacker's places or even couchsurf while working part time at odd jobs. It is easy to get odds jobs paying under the table? However, I have heard of my country giving out tourist working visa to Europe before. Not sure how that works. When I am not working maybe I can squeeze in some poker.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Prague
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny you might mention this. I live in Malaysia. The beaches are awesome here.

What do you guys think about working + traveling in Europe? I mean I can stay at cheap backpacker's places or even couchsurf while working part time at odd jobs. It is easy to get odds jobs paying under the table? However, I have heard of my country giving out tourist working visa to Europe before. Not sure how that works. When I am not working maybe I can squeeze in some poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got back from a semester abroad and many people in Spain and others I knew in Germany and Ireland all had jobs that paid under the table, usually they were bar jobs, but you just need to find the right town with enough of an American population to hire an English speaker, although not knowing any of the native language might make you unemployable
Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM

If you want to spend a cheap month in europe , i can highly recommend Hungary or CzechRep ( well Prague is also getting more expensive last years), u will find cheap places to sleep there( 8-15$ a day, low-comfort) and its also kind of save there( more safe than in albania, romanie etc. as somebody wrote). Food is Cheap, Alcohol is very cheap there.
The Big Cities in that area are all great( budapest ,bratislava, prague)

If you want to visit western europe , forget it...

Finding a Job will not be THAT easy for you, if you donīt speak any of the european foreign languages, and obv. speaking english is no privilege in europe...as the poster above me said it you have to pick a place , where many american tourists are.( higest american tourist frequence you might find in Amsterdam and Paris )