Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 12-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Default I\'m a NIT who wants to be more aggressive.

I 4-table 6-handed 100NL and play a style that has to be defined as Nitty. Over 49,000 hands I'm 20.73/11.84/1.42. My winrate over this span is 6.36 PTBB/100 with almost no fluctuation in this number over the 49k hands.

I really want to be a more aggressive, even LAGGY player. I've tried this in the past at these limits without much success however. My real question is: Were I to become a good laggy player at this limit, could I expect a higher winrate? Or are the merits of a good lag style only evident at higher limits?

I feel like I am quite good at reading players' holdings at this limit, but when I start trying to move them off semi-strong or weak-made hands I tend to underestimate their willingness to call down with these type hands.

Should I work on being a more TAG player at this limit? (in my mind that's what I am, but my stats show otherwise).
Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: I\'m a NIT who wants to be more aggressive.

i wouldn't change much if that's your winrate...it's very respectable.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 PM

Well... you have a nice winrate, but if you really wanna try to be more aggro, increase your attempt to steal from late pos, would be my approach at least. Also isolate bad limpers from late pos more.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:08 PM

dont change to lag just because you WANT to play lag.. thats no good reason [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] keep on doing what youre doing you nitty sob! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM

keep nitting it up for 6+ptbb/100
Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM

IMO, only do it if you're doing it because you want to have more fun while playing or to prepare for moving up to higher stakes games. Your win rate will almost definitely go down at first and stay lower for quite some time, and your variance will also likely rise significantly. It takes alot of experience and time to start figuring out what people are willing to call down with, what they'll fold, when your second/third pair can be value bet on the river, etc..

Its generally much easier to hand read in situations as a nit since you're rarely in a marginal spots, and you're often just WA/WB. And people don't just completely freak out and do crazy things against you too often. Play a bit looser and you enter the twilight zone.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM

I suppose you guys are right that I should not feel the need to change up my style for the mere sake of change.

I just read and see so much about the merits of a nice LAG style and watch the cardrunner and stoxpoker videos that I can't help but be drawn to the 'glamorous' appeal of a more aggressive style.