Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Rant: People who can\'t spell

To me, the bigger issue is that sort of thing causing one to dismiss another's writing entirely. I'm not going to bother to read an idiot's post. A good example is in the latest Lost thread, where nos posted a spoiler, but later several people chimed in to say they'd actually read it, but it was so poorly written that they didn't even understand or retain the information.

For me, sucking at spelling is a lot like having a tribal tattoo. If that's your first impression, I'm going to think you're an idiot until you prove me wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I know there will be some who will want to respond calling me a nit, saying it doesn't really matter as long as your audience knows what you're talking about. Well, no, as far as conveying the information at hand, it doesn't matter much, but as far as you not looking like a complete idiot, yeah, it's pretty [censored] important. Not being able to spell makes you look like a careless person who doesn't pay enough attention to the world around you to learn correct spellings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may have been true but very much changing in formal / professional settings. I get work e-mails all the time rife with spelling errors, and while this personally irritates me, it seems commonplace enough where it's pretty accepted these days.

Also, the higher up you are in corporate America, the more forgive-able spelling errors are it seems.

-Al

[ QUOTE ]
Cardo, writing message board posts in Faulknerian prose is almost as bad as misspelling every other word.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. I rule. I have so much mad [censored] style it is gross. GROSS. It is [censored] sick how much I rule. And WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT FAULKNER. I DON'T RECALL WRITING ANYTHING FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF SOME RANDOM IDIOT CHILD-MAN.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seriously cant imagine your friend thought supposed was really spelled sopost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you she did. Someone in another thread just spelled "pedophile" as "petifile." I mean, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this too and it made me very sad. I have no problem with people taking shortcuts when typing on the Intrawebz and ANYONE can catch a key by mistakle when they are typing but this is way different than that.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cardo, writing message board posts in Faulknerian prose is almost as bad as misspelling every other word.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. I rule. I have so much mad [censored] style it is gross. GROSS. It is [censored] sick how much I rule. And WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT FAULKNER. I DON'T RECALL WRITING ANYTHING FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF SOME RANDOM IDIOT CHILD-MAN.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - I missed the original mia post. So true, actually I'd prefer a more concise message with spelling errors to some crazy over-written thing.

Sorry Ana,
-Al
Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I DON'T RECALL WRITING ANYTHING FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF SOME RANDOM IDIOT CHILD-MAN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irony?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM

From our own Irieguy:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import
[ QUOTE ]

I can't spell, my grammer is no good, and i get defensive when your replies insult me. Can I still be a poker god?

No. If you can't spell, you don't read. You can't spell because you don't know how words look. If you don't read, you don't know what everybody before you has already learned, and they've already learned everything, so that means you don't know anything.

If your excuse is that you really read a lot, and spell well... but you just don't take the time to read your own posts before you post them, then you are careless and you lack focus. There aren't many careless poker masters that lack focus.

Typographical errors and occassional syntax errors are part of the human brain naturally malfunctioning. I'm sure there are a few of each in any lengthy post (not including the ones in this section.) I'm also well aware of the conversational tone and syntax of an interactive forum. But if you notice that your posts routinely have spelling or grammatical errors (of course, you won't notice it yourself but you may notice other people pointing it out), I promise you that your poker game will improve if you start reading more. Poker books do not count in this regard. "Can you see why?"

I can't wait for an english teacher or writer to sift through this post and find 27 spelling and grammatical errors... before even mentioning my horrendous misuse of the ellipsis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM

English spelling does not follow simple rules.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From our own Irieguy:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import
[ QUOTE ]

I can't spell, my grammer is no good, and i get defensive when your replies insult me. Can I still be a poker god?

No. If you can't spell, you don't read. You can't spell because you don't know how words look. If you don't read, you don't know what everybody before you has already learned, and they've already learned everything, so that means you don't know anything.

If your excuse is that you really read a lot, and spell well... but you just don't take the time to read your own posts before you post them, then you are careless and you lack focus. There aren't many careless poker masters that lack focus.

Typographical errors and occassional syntax errors are part of the human brain naturally malfunctioning. I'm sure there are a few of each in any lengthy post (not including the ones in this section.) I'm also well aware of the conversational tone and syntax of an interactive forum. But if you notice that your posts routinely have spelling or grammatical errors (of course, you won't notice it yourself but you may notice other people pointing it out), I promise you that your poker game will improve if you start reading more. Poker books do not count in this regard. "Can you see why?"

I can't wait for an english teacher or writer to sift through this post and find 27 spelling and grammatical errors... before even mentioning my horrendous misuse of the ellipsis.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people really like to praise their own strengths.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM

I'm a terrible speller. I was fine all the way through about middle school and then I started using a computer more and more and now well I can't spell anything. Take for example I wanted to use the word "environment" in a paper I was working on. I spelled it so bad the spell checker on the computer couldn't get it and this was after numerous tries. It can be extremely frustrating for me when I want to use a word, but I can't spell it. People always told me the more you read the better speller you are. I don't believe this either, I've read A LOT of books, more than most people my age, and I still can't spell.