Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Why no FPP\'s for $ option?

I'm curious as to why Stars doesn't have an option to cash in FPP's for cash. Party doesn't either (as far as I know) so there must be some valid reason when it seems like such a no-brainer to me.

Both sites are spending a significant amount of money on their "stores". If you want to reward your high volume players why not do it with what they want most - cash. I would think if either site offered this as an option it would swing a significant amount of play over to them.

I understand that Stars would rather have people use their FPP's for tournament buy-ins. So make that the best deal so anybody wanting to maximize the value of their points will take the buy-ins. If points are worth $.016 toward a tournament buy-in then offer $.012 in cash. Stars still comes out ahead. People are already figuring out which items they can convert to cash easiest. Why not cut out the middle man and save money in the process? Even if they get a volume discount on the items they ship most, the handling of the orders, shipping, and customer service issues after the order must be costing them more than offering cash. As an added benefit that cash would be in the player's account and could be used to play poker. This seems like a good outcome for the poker site as well.

I mentioned that offering cash for points could lock in some players that are wavering between Party and Stars, but it could also be used as an incentive for higher volume play. What if only silver stars, or even gold stars, could exchange points for cash. Wouldn't that be a huge incentive to up your play on Stars to reach that level?

What am I missing here? There must be a good reason Party and Stars only offer items points. I just can't see it.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Why no FPP\'s for $ option?

Because merchandise is worth so much more. It's a constant positive reminder of poker play. Someone may ask about your iPod, you say you got it from playing poker, bam another player signs up.

On top of that, players will play to save up for free items, maybe the new nano iPod or "that cool sony camera", whereas if they just got $300, there's less tangible incentive to play at that particular site.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:11 PM

Don't forget, they are buying wholesale and "selling" retail too... that $700 TV (or whatever) might only cost them $360 to get to your house.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a constant positive reminder of poker play. Someone may ask about your iPod, you say you got it from playing poker, bam another player signs up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, wtf

People say "Hey, where'd you get that iPod?" often around your parts? Where the [censored] are you from, Wyoming?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:18 PM

More like "is that the video one?" "yeah, I got it playing poker". Use your imagination.

OK, bad example, but you get the idea. People will tell their friends they got [censored] for free playing online poker.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More like "is that the video one?" "yeah, I got it playing poker". Use your imagination.

OK, bad example, but you get the idea. People will tell their friends they got [censored] for free playing online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could tell my friends I made $1000 playing online poker, or I made $700 and I got an Ipod. I don't think many people ask where you got it (like istewart said), but having actual items gives people something to shoot for.

I have noticed something similar to this when I play. When clearing the stars bonus, I played a lot because the 600 FPP was within reach, it was my goal. When normally playing at Absolute, they have constant bonuses, so theres really nothing to finish. Having x number of FPP to earn until you get a cool toy is similar IMO.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a constant positive reminder of poker play. Someone may ask about your iPod, you say you got it from playing poker, bam another player signs up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, wtf

People say "Hey, where'd you get that iPod?" often around your parts? Where the [censored] are you from, Wyoming?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM

In the long thread about the VIP program I believe Lee Jones compared this cash idea to rakeback, something they do not want to be associated with.