Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Default 100NL - KK heads up line check - butchered or ok?

A case could be made that I misplayed every street on this hand, but I tried to play it to maximize expected value in the general case. $100 NL, no reads on villian. I think he joined the table recently and bought in short. Table has been passive, often folding to a pre-flop raise. I've been stealing a little, but generally have had a solid starting hand (pocket pair, AJ+, KQ) when I've gone to showdown.

Stack Sizes (10-handed, I only remember the two relevant stacks):
UTG+1 (Hero) - $120
MP2 (Villian) - $40

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts $0.50, BB posts $1. UTG folds, Hero raises to $4, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $9, folds around the table, Hero calls.

My thinking here is since I'm closing the action and know we'll be heads up, I don't need to raise to isolate. I also decide with stack sizes that I'm probably not folding under any circumstances. Rather than re-raise and risk scaring villian off, my plan is to smooth call, let villian bet on a later street (hopefully pot-committing himself), and then raise all-in.

Flop (Pot ~$18): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero checks, villian checks behind.

Well, my plan to check-raise failed. Board is fairly draw-heavy, so I'll need to lead just about any turn card.

Turn (Pot ~$18): A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero bets $35 (putting villian all-in).

A pretty bad turn card, as villian's flop check makes Ax more likely than a pocket pair (KJ is unlikely since I hold two Ks). Now seems like a WA/WB situation. Still, perhaps a big overbet can get a tight villian to fold a weak ace or even a strong ace fearing two pair or a straight? It seemed right at the time, but perhaps it allows villian to play perfectly (folds all losing hands, calls with all winning hands)? Given that you think villian is often ahead at this point, but your hand and pot odds are good enough that you will call all bets, what line maximizes your EV here?

I'm most interested in hearing opinions on the turn, but comments on all streets are appreciated.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Re: 100NL - KK heads up line check - butchered or ok?

Dumb play on flop and turn. You did not protect any heart flush draw on flop. You put him all-in at turn when you are behind to all the likely hands (AA, AK, AQ, QQ). Pure spewing. Remember this is full ring and if you won that hand you probably sucked out at river with a 10 or K.

Just reraise to $24 preflop and push on flop.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: 100NL - KK heads up line check - butchered or ok?

[ QUOTE ]
Just reraise to $24 preflop and push on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]