Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Default $1 Rate my stupidity

UB $1+.10 10-player SnG, regular pacing (not a turbo), players start with 1500 chips

9 players left, 2nd blind level (20-40)

Villain has t1325
OrigamiSensei has t1465 chips

OrigamiSensei is in MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pre-flop:

Villain raises to t140 UTG, 1 fold, OrigamiSensei re-raises to t400, all others fold to villain who calls.

Comments: Table has been somewhat passive and I feel I can make a move here. I don't want to lay it down and I really don't want to call and let others into the pot. I would have folded to someone coming over the top with an all-in, the call leads me to read him for ace-king, ace-queen or a medium-ish pair.

Flop: (Pot t860) 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks. OrigamiSensei bets t400.
Villain goes all-in for 925. OrigamiSensei calls.

Comment: After the check by villain I put him on a small pair and make a c-bet of roughly half the pot hoping to knock him out but feeling okay if he calls. When he comes over the top with the all-in I have to make the key decision. At this point I only have t650 left and I'm looking at having to call t525 more. If I fold I'm crippled. If I call I'm getting 4:1 odds on my money with t2185 already in the pot so I'm priced in. I figure I have 10 outs twice and if I ran into a set then so be it, I'm an idiot and I deserve to lose.

I'd also like some analysis of villain's play because had he played more aggressively and led the flop instead of getting cute with the check-raise I probably would have gotten antsy and folded.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Rate my stupidity

This is a tough spot when you are facing a raise from UTG which represent 10% of your stack.

You're options are fold/call/raise.

Folding: Kind of weak. But certainly not terrible depending on a read.

Calling: You have position and AK. So, calling isn't bad here. The raise being ~10% of your stack makes it a little less attractive.

Raising: Well, raising to 400 is asking for trouble. It's just under 1/3 of your stack and any post flop bet is going to pretty much commit you to the pot. So, with the 140+40+20 in the middle. I think if you are going to raise, just push.

So, depending on the opponent I think you can either fold, call or push. They are all read dependent. However, I would not raise to 400 here.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough spot when you are facing a raise from UTG which represent 10% of your stack.

You're options are fold/call/raise.

Folding: Kind of weak. But certainly not terrible depending on a read.

Calling: You have position and AK. So, calling isn't bad here. The raise being ~10% of your stack makes it a little less attractive.

Raising: Well, raising to 400 is asking for trouble. It's just under 1/3 of your stack and any post flop bet is going to pretty much commit you to the pot. So, with the 140+40+20 in the middle. I think if you are going to raise, just push.

So, depending on the opponent I think you can either fold, call or push. They are all read dependent. However, I would not raise to 400 here.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. And push/check the flop. Don't lead for half of opponents stack.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM

I think I understand that pushing out large portions of my stack twice was a bad idea. Push or fold would have been better. However, why is a pre-flop call not so bad here? Yes, I have position on the raiser but there are still a number of people left to act behind me and I think I'd prefer to keep them out.

Thanks for the advice - my SnG play needs a lot of help.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 PM

Because AK isn't that good in SNG's. Play for implied odds and other junk. Plus, there's already a raise, you probably won't play random pots anyway.