Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Struggling with C-betting in the nanos

I have been struggling with a problem while grinding my way through the lowest of the low in nano-stakes (.01/.02, .05/.10). I have a very nice hand, raise and miss the flop. I know it is often framed in the context of playing overcards and that's fine. There's the excellent loyalguard compilation, a section in SSHE and numerous other resources on playing overcards. However, I also find myself trying to think about it in terms of players and reads. Conventional wisdom says you miss the flop and have a small number of opponents (1 or 2, maybe 3) that the c-bet is often default. In tighter games I accept this and have seen its commensurately greater success in my small dabbles at .25/.50 and .50/1. But in the low nanos I find myself more and more reluctant. The reasons are twofold:

1) When you have people who will limp practically any two cards you are far more likely to have an opponent who connected with the garbage flop.
2) When you have people who do nothing but call, call, call, you aren't generally folding them with a c-bet.

This leaves me in a struggle to maintain agressiveness and apply pressure, but often wilting and playing more fit-or-check in these scenarios. It's easy to value bet relentlessly when I actually hit something but I'd like to learn how to win during stretches like the last couple of weeks where the cards have been quite uncooperative.

I have no idea if I'm making any sense whatsoever here but hopefully this will provide some grist for useful discussion.