Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Overcards hand from review session

First of all I want to thank writser for taking the time to review my hands. He did a good work and I value his input. This is a hand where we differed in opinion on postflop play and I'd like others to weigh in with the hope that I learn something.

Ultimate Bet 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: OrigamiSensei is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, OrigamiSensei calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, OrigamiSensei checks.

Here's our conversation on the hand:

--- WRITSER: I'd bet on the flop to get some donks out and to buy a freecard on the turn. Getting C/R'd would suck though, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

OS SEZ&gt; I'm getting my free card now. Why should I "buy" one with such a marginal hand? Getting c/r'd would REALLY suck in this case when all I have is a gutshot and two crappy overs. (Late note: and a crappy BDFD)

-- WRITSER: I tend to disagree. With this bet, you can see the river for 1 small bet, you buy yourself outs AND you might even pick up the pot right here.Yes, getting C/R'd sucks but that doesn't happen a lot at these limit. If you check, someone IS going to donk the turn and then you don't have the odds to call.

With fewer opponents, say 2 or 3, I think writser has a point. With 6 opponents I can't imagine doing anything but taking the free card and getting the heck out if I don't improve on the turn.

Discuss.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Overcards hand from review session

This field is too large to bet at. I like the check.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM

I dont bet into a field that big. Check and hope for the the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add that I hate the bet. Risking putting in two bets with a weak draw for maybe a chance at a free card on the turn is a stupid thing to do.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM

It's 7 handed, nobody is going to fold. A bet will also not clear your outs since I doubt that someone with AQ/AJ/KJ will fold. Your draw is also very weak, so check and hope to catch something on the turn (and then hope that it is enough to win the pot).
Old 06-07-2006, 03:04 PM

i don't hate betting the flop, actually.

we have a lot of outs and there are so many opponents that we might be betting for value if most of them are inclined to call.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:10 PM

How much outs do you think we have on average tiltaholic?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much outs do you think we have on average tiltaholic?

[/ QUOTE ]

something like 8? maybe that's optimistic?
i doubt we're getting checkraised and we obviously don't need to bet the turn.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM

I think that is optimistic.

You have 4 outs for a straight, but there is a 2 flush on the board. So 1 out needs to be seriously discounted and the other outs also need to be discounted a bit since you cuold hit on the turn to loose on the river. I think 3 outs for the straight draw is reasonable.

You have two overcards. If you hit them you could loose from a flush, straight, better toppair, two pair, overpair on the river, something else... I really really don't like these outs, perhaps something like 2 + perhaps a little bit outs on average?

Hmmmmm.... it isn't looking as bad as I originally thought 5/6 outs isn't bad in a semi-large 7 handed pot. The longer I think about it, the more I start liking a bet. It seems that our equity is ok. so a bet isn't going to cost us a lot of money.

So if it results in folding the A or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] it's probably already +ev, if someone folds KJ that would be great and even when you will get a freecard in just 30% of all cases I think it's ok.