Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Blackwater: a book review

I bought this book for an interesting read on Blackwater and it's role in Iraq. I wasn't prepared for the unbelievably liberal bias that engulfs the book. That author seemed to go out of the way to bash the current administration here and the war in Iraq at every opportunity. While I agree that debate and opposing viewpoints make this country so great, I couldn't believe the complete lack of professional "journalism". After starting to question some of the bold claims in there, I began to research the sources cited to certain accusations. One even cites directly to the Daily Mirror!!! (ch 9 ftnt 54) For those of you who don't know, the Mirror is a tabloid newspaper! What kind of author makes a statement that the US forces killed hundreds of women and children in Fallujah, then uses a trashy, fictional newspaper as the primary support? If you look up the Mirror on google you will find the wikipedia page. That page describes the time when the Mirror published fake pictures of US forces torturing POWs, then later admitted it was a hoax. And you expect to be thought of as having ANY credibility?

The subtle jabs at US forces in every sentence make it clear that the author would feel much more comfortable living with the "freedom fighters" (insurgents) in Iraq then here with fellow Americans. He constantly blames the US Media for spinning the facts, but seems to have no problem doing so himself. At one point he admits to supporting the twisting of the facts from al Jazeera and other similar networks. Pages 140-141 contain a quote about his complete satisfaction with the oppositions propaganda, but strongly condemns any such campaigns but the US. I wanted to find a book on this subject that would be educational and allow me to understand the situation there just a little better, but the content and journalistic skill of the author was laughable at best. Please be prepared before picking up yet another piece of liberal garbage.