FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

Oh, I have no problem with the union's rejecting the Red Sox restructuring. Curt Flood and Andy Messersmith are kinda heros of mine, if you get where I'm coming from. Unlike the other sports' unions, all of whom caved in, got decertified, and are basically useless and castrated, the MLBPA leaders never lose sight of the fact that what they do, they do for tomorrow's players, not themselves. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother topic...

But that doesn't mean it takes collusion for ARod's offers to be lower. Simply put, if the Yankees and Mets are not players, and the Cubs ownership situation leaves them out of it, that probably only leaves 2-3 truly serious suitors. Less swimmers in the pool should lead to lower offers without the teams having to indicate what others are offering, especially when those teams know the Yankees are out of it.

I respectfully disagree that the Yankees will get back in at any level above what they paid ARod themselves this year. It looks like Hank wants to make a point on who's running the franchise, and I just don't see them replacing the Rangers subsidy with their own money, even though they can afford it. And I have no doubt he'll be offered at least $22-23m per year for at least 6-7 years. However, I think there's no way he sees a single offer of $30m per, given the current market layout.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're expecting cabrera to keep getting better and better, just come out and say it so i can refute it.

note: this wasn't a-rod's best year. or even second best year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misunderstanding what I mean.

Cabrera will be more valuable to his team than A-Rod for the next 5-6 years. Who would you rather have, A-Rod at age 38 making $30 million or Cabrera making $20 million at age 30?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I have no problem with the union's rejecting the Red Sox restructuring. Curt Flood and Andy Messersmith are kinda heros of mine, if you get where I'm coming from. Unlike the other sports' unions, all of whom caved in, got decertified, and are basically useless and castrated, the MLBPA leaders never lose sight of the fact that what they do, they do for tomorrow's players, not themselves. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother topic...

But that doesn't mean it takes collusion for ARod's offers to be lower. Simply put, if the Yankees and Mets are not players, and the Cubs ownership situation leaves them out of it, that probably only leaves 2-3 truly serious suitors. Less swimmers in the pool should lead to lower offers without the teams having to indicate what others are offering, especially when those teams know the Yankees are out of it.

I respectfully disagree that the Yankees will get back in at any level above what they paid ARod themselves this year. It looks like Hank wants to make a point on who's running the franchise, and I just don't see them replacing the Rangers subsidy with their own money, even though they can afford it. And I have no doubt he'll be offered at least $22-23m per year for at least 6-7 years. However, I think there's no way he sees a single offer of $30m per, given the current market layout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. Hank is also telling all the agents, "Don't f with me, because I won't put up with it.".
Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're expecting cabrera to keep getting better and better, just come out and say it so i can refute it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cabrera will be more valuable to his team than A-Rod for the next 5-6 years. Who would you rather have, A-Rod at age 38 making $30 million or Cabrera making $20 million at age 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is it's more like A-Rod at age 38 making $30 million (plus all the extra revenue he's giving you + possible all-time HR champion) and having all your young stud prospects on your team (whatever that marginal cost is, definitely a lot, likely minimum of $30 million over six years, potentially WAAAY more) versus Miguel Cabrera making $25 million at Age 30.

If you think A-Rod has any shot at $30 million, I don't know why you would think Cabby as a FA doesn't have a shot at $30 either. If both were FAs right now Cab would be the more valuable commodity.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Latest in the A-Rod saga. Both A-Rod and Boras are backtracking and saying that A-Rod still wants to be a Yankee. Suuuureeee.... That's why you opted out in the 8th inning.

A-Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

A-Rod opted out so he could have more teams to bid on him. I don't see why this means he doesn't want to be a Yankee. Maybe it does mean that, but I'm not sure why the Yanks wouldn't bid (unless they don't think he's worth it).
Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is it's more like A-Rod at age 38 making $30 million (plus all the extra revenue he's giving you + possible all-time HR champion) and having all your young stud prospects on your team (whatever that marginal cost is, definitely a lot, likely minimum of $30 million over six years, potentially WAAAY more) versus Miguel Cabrera making $25 million at Age 30.

If you think A-Rod has any shot at $30 million, I don't know why you would think Cabby as a FA doesn't have a shot at $30 either. If both were FAs right now Cab would be the more valuable commodity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't think A-Rod has a shot at $30 million. But that's what Boras is asking. That's why I think it's so stupid A-Rod didn't even listen to the Yankees offer. Because they WERE going to offer $30 million/year. I agree if both were FA's Cabrera would be more valuable.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why the Yanks wouldn't bid (unless they don't think he's worth it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Because just by opting how, he cost the Yankees around $21m dollars in subsidies. Even if they signed ARod to a deal that doesn't raise his salary for '08-'10 above what it was under the old contract, that alone adds $21m to what the Yankees have to pay out of their funds.

Of course he wanted the Yankees to be bidders -- he and Boras (or at least Boras) simply thought the Yankees were bluffing. He hubris was such that he thought the Yankees wouldn't sweat the $21m subsidy at all. I don't care how much money you have, $21m is a lot of it, and the Yankees seem to feel the same way.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Note: There's also the very real possibility and the lot of grumbling that Cabrera needs to be moved to 1B. FATTY.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Miguel Cabrera has averaged a mid-140's OPS+ before age 25. This is great, but he is a butcher in the field and will be at first base within the next few years. It would seem he has a serious weight problem, no one is as consistent as Alex Rodriguez.

He's no A-Rod, but if you're signing him for 10-15 million less he would certainly seem to be the better deal.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why the Yanks wouldn't bid (unless they don't think he's worth it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Because just by opting how, he cost the Yankees around $21m dollars in subsidies. Even if they signed ARod to a deal that doesn't raise his salary for '08-'10 above what it was under the old contract, that alone adds $21m to what the Yankees have to pay out of their funds.

Of course he wanted the Yankees to be bidders -- he and Boras (or at least Boras) simply thought the Yankees were bluffing. He hubris was such that he thought the Yankees wouldn't sweat the $21m subsidy at all. I don't care how much money you have, $21m is a lot of it, and the Yankees seem to feel the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then you offer him $21m less. Problem solved.