Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Airplane crashes

[ QUOTE ]
i was at the toronto airport a couple of years ago when there was a minicrash (i think a plane slid off the runway; nobody was killed iirc). we could see and smell the smoke coming from the plane. i don't recall what the monitor said, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember watching this on CNN. There was minute-by-minute coverage, until........CNN found out that nobody died. I have never seen a story go from "this could be one of worst tragedies since blah, blah.....to......"let's move along - no story here."
Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 AM

Jet engines were actually tested by firing frozen turkeys or chickens, I can't remember which, through a running engine to test. It's entirely possible that a bird could get sucked into an engine and the engine would keep right on going.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 AM

completely irrelevant, but whatever....

Caught a plane out of the Amazon in a small 10-seater, the runway was a grass strip cut into the forest, which was originally made for use by Colombian trafickers.

I look over the pilots shoulder and he is holding a book, with the page opened to "Checklist for take-off".

He didn't speak English.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you do searches like that JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some new fangled technology called google or something, I don't remember exactly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This plus the other poster's name (Oblivious) made me think for a second this is one of the better gimmick accounts out there.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Caught a plane out of the Amazon in a small 10-seater, the runway was a grass strip cut into the forest, which was originally made for use by Colombian trafickers.

I look over the pilots shoulder and he is holding a book, with the page opened to "Checklist for take-off".
He didn't speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

GTFO! Do you speak spanish? That could quite possibly call for an emergency "stop the plane and let me out" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mistakenly thought that 90% of all crashes were pilot error. It turns out that only about 78% of them are pilot error. The rest are mechanical failure or weather or jihadists.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that close to 0% of commercial crashes are pilot error, right?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He didn't speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

GTFO! Do you speak spanish? That could quite possibly call for an emergency "stop the plane and let me out" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me you don't want the pilot doing a take-off checklist? Or you think they should do it from memory?

I dunno man if I owned an airline I would require all pilots to go through the take-off checklist every time. Given the circumstances of my post above, I think if they had actually got out the take-off checklist and gone through it they wouldn't have forgot to pressurize the cabin.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Ya, it seems like they should be able to do it by memory. I guess it's a good idea to go through a checklist but it would have me worried if I'm flying out of the amazon on a grass strip with who the hell knows in the cockpit. Wouldn't the thought of this guy not even knowing how to operate an aircraft cross your mind? It's not something we ever see in the U.S so it would have to be a little concerning.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jet engines were actually tested by firing frozen turkeys or chickens, I can't remember which, through a running engine to test. It's entirely possible that a bird could get sucked into an engine and the engine would keep right on going.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bird test(not frozen) is about ensuring the failed engine doesn't cause the aircraft to crash, not to ensure the engine still runs. It's a jet engine for crying out loud, not a gravel crusher.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, it seems like they should be able to do it by memory. I guess it's a good idea to go through a checklist but it would have me worried if I'm flying out of the amazon on a grass strip with who the hell knows in the cockpit. Wouldn't the thought of this guy not even knowing how to operate an aircraft cross your mind? It's not something we ever see in the U.S so it would have to be a little concerning.

[/ QUOTE ]
On big commercial planes there is a copilot who can help to make 100% sure the pilot has done everything right at takeoff. With one pilot it makes perfect sense that he checks the book every single time, just in case.