Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Default New Laptop.... (What to get?)

Ok I am in the process of looking for a new laptop.

I currently have a Sony Vaio, and I wasnt sure on what to get next. I just got my lap top about 6 months ago, and it is just made kind of cheaply.

I am looking at spending $1,500 or less. I want a good screen resolution, I currently have 1280x840, and I cant really 4 table well.

I want a nice sturdy laptop, open to all kinds EXCEPT for Apple, I hate them and will never buy an Apple.

What kinds are good these days, top performers, and I am looking at 80GB-120GB.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: New Laptop.... (What to get?)

in your price range your probably looking for a HP or Sony, try them out at a local store before you buy if you really want to know how the built in keyboard and mouse fell... I would normally recommend a Thinkpad for sturdiness but it's not really meant for poker(lower screen resolution & more expensive(~2K) but better overall).
Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Is size an issue? Will this be your every day comp or a travel laptop?
I would recommend a dell 17in high res monitor, graphics card, intel dual core 2ghz, and 2 gig ram. More or less proc speed and ram depending if you use poker tracker. This should run about your budget even less if you can find a coupon.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is size an issue? Will this be your every day comp or a travel laptop?
I would recommend a dell 17in high res monitor, graphics card, intel dual core 2ghz, and 2 gig ram. More or less proc speed and ram depending if you use poker tracker. This should run about your budget even less if you can find a coupon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok thanks for the help.
But TBH I didnt understand 1 thing.

This will be an everyday Laptop. I will use it for school work, and poker. I use PT, and I don't need some mega huge screen. I just want a nice resolution. I am so clueless on what to look for when it comes to this stuff.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:42 AM

You probably want dual 2ghz processor and 2g ram for poker tracker purposes and maybe some light gaming.
Now you need to ask yourself what size monitor you want? The 15.5in is lighter and cheaper although they both weigh a ton. The 17in can support higher res and has a 10key(numberpad on keyboard) which is nice if you play nl or tourneys.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 AM

I'm looking for similar to the OP. I really wanted to spend more like $800, but I want to be able to 4 table and that means 1600x1200, which means 17", right? If there was a 15.5" that supported 4 tables, that would be great, because I plan to travel with this laptop and the smaller the better.

I saw a really nice HP laptop at Costco the other day for around $1400 and it had way nicer specs than I need. 2.4 GHz dual core, 17", CD/DVD burner, 320 gb hd, fingerprint reader, webcam, 2 GB ram, everything. Now I've been looking online and I'm finding machines in the same price range
are not nearly as nice. Does HP just have lower quality or what?

Is ebay a good option for a new laptop, or should I steer clear? Do I have any chance of finding a good poker laptop for under $1000, or am I going to have to extend my budget?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 AM

Now what is the difference in size in ram drive?

Will that make it go faster?

I have a 1gb, will a 2gb be better?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
2gb is pretty cheap these days and is the way to go, especially if you're planning on getting vista. RAM isn't a drive, it's actually sticks of memory that your computer uses to store and access data on the fly when it needs to do so quickly.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of ram helps with poker tracker to process large amounts of data without bogging down.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for similar to the OP. I really wanted to spend more like $800, but I want to be able to 4 table and that means 1600x1200, which means 17", right? If there was a 15.5" that supported 4 tables, that would be great, because I plan to travel with this laptop and the smaller the better.

I saw a really nice HP laptop at Costco the other day for around $1400 and it had way nicer specs than I need. 2.4 GHz dual core, 17", CD/DVD burner, 320 gb hd, fingerprint reader, webcam, 2 GB ram, everything. Now I've been looking online and I'm finding machines in the same price range
are not nearly as nice. Does HP just have lower quality or what?

Is ebay a good option for a new laptop, or should I steer clear? Do I have any chance of finding a good poker laptop for under $1000, or am I going to have to extend my budget?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can get a really nice 15.5 that could easily 4 table for ~$800