Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Headphones!!!

I hope everyone remembers my old headphone thread in oot.

HEADPHONES!

Anyway, when 2p2 went down, i went and checked out my old headphone board. HEADFI

I realized i missed headphone stuff quite a bit. I also saw a shiny new pair of awesome headphones that AKG had recently released. Needless to say, I bought them after i found them for $244(they retail for $499) So I present to you, the AKG K-701:

I thought this would be a good place to have people discuss headphones to use while playing poker online, flying on a plane, riding a bike, walking around at school, sitting on your living room floor in front of your stereo and etc. I know a good deal about headphones AND headphone amplifiers as well as 2 channel audio systems in general. If you have questions and/or need for recommendations, ask away, I will be here!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Headphones!!!

Hey PITTM,

I recently bought a pair of Etymotics ER-6i ear buds, which I think sound incredible compared to all the [censored] earbuds I've listened to before. I've heard you recommend buying amps before but would I really notice any improvement when listening to mp3's that were ripped at cd quality?

(btw, for anybody that rides a motorcycle and listens to music, these earbuds are incredible. They fit very nicely under a full face helmet, block almost all wind noise and allow you to listen to your music at a reasonable level so you don't [censored] up your hearing. They also came with 4 different sets of ear pieces so you can pick the ones that fit you best. Highly recommended.)
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM

PITTM,

I'm in the market for some new earbuds. It seems like the Shure ones are the clear concensus pick.

So, here's the question. Speaking to a relative non-audiophile, how would you characterize the difference in experience between the e2c ($70), e3c ($150), e4c ($200) [amazon prices]?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I owned a pair of Er-6s about 2 years ago. I had a problem with their lack of bass and somewhat tinniness and sold them to another head-fi member. I certainly saw the many benefits though and i know tons of people love those things.

As far as an amp goes. I have the absolute PERFECT amp in mind but its probably a bit too expensive. The Ray Samuels Tomahawk($295):

It is designed for IEM's(in ear monitors) like the ER6's. FWIW, the amp i have is the ray samuels hornet, which is almost identical cosmetically but was designed with full sized headphones in mind. For me, Ray Samuels blows other amp makers out of the water. The only other makers even in the same league are Tyll Hertsins of Headroom and Phil Larocco at larocco audio. Ray just finished making what looks like a piece of art and what is now probably the best consumer headphone amp in existence, the B-52($5,350):

I have tremendous respect for Ray's work and think it is the best in the business.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 PM

All,

Some are able to distinguish between the frequencies and others can't. When you've found two sets of headphones/ speakers you can't tell the difference between, that's where you settle for the less expensive option.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM

I've read those complaints about the Etymotic's sound before, but from what I've read the concesus seems to be that they are more comfortable then Shure's.

I've never used either, but I know my dad replaced his e2c's with ER-6's due to the e2c's not being comfortable and he is really happy with the swap.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the absolute PERFECT amp in mind but its probably a bit too expensive. The Ray Samuels Tomahawk($295):

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at this point that's a little more than I'm willing to spend on an amp but maybe sometime in the future when I'm looking for a new toy. Thanks for the recommendation.

[ QUOTE ]
Ray just finished making what looks like a piece of art and what is now probably the best consumer headphone amp in existence, the B-52($5,350):

[/ QUOTE ]

$5k? Holy [censored]!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM

el d,

I must preface this by saying out of the 3 headphones you mentioned, i have only heard the e3c. However, from the many reviews i have read, the e4c is the best of the lot and separates itself quite a bit from the e2c and e3c, since as far as i remember it has two drivers, while the other pairs only have one..

However, while you state that shures are the consensus favorite, i do disagree somewhat. If i were going to buy a pair of IEM's, i would either get the shure e500(new headphone, ridiculously awesome and expensive) or i would go with Ultimate Ears as opposed to Shures. My friend has a pair of Ultimate Ear's Super.Fi 5 pro's or whatever theyre called and i think they blow the shures out of the water. The sound is super crisp, the isolation is great and they fit better in my ears than the shures have.

For anyone wanting to listen to headphones and lives near the bay area, the head-fi international headphone meet would be something to check out. It is in San Jose, CA this year at a hotel near Bay101, i forget if its a doubletree or what.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PITTM,

I'm in the market for some new earbuds. It seems like the Shure ones are the clear concensus pick.

So, here's the question. Speaking to a relative non-audiophile, how would you characterize the difference in experience between the e2c ($70), e3c ($150), e4c ($200) [amazon prices]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the E2C, decent sound, but they break all the time. I've been through 4 pairs in the past 2.5 yrs. I do abuse them though, so I'm sure that's contributory (working out, smushed in a book bag, etc.). I bought a replacement plan for the second one, even though Shure does include a 2 yr guarantee. I'm just too lazy to send it out and prefer just going to the store and picking up a new set.

I don't have experience with the other Shure earbuds though so I can't help you compare.

I'd really like to hear opinions on normal headsets in the 150-300 range though. I'll be looking for a pair soon.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

$5k? Holy [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

This amp is only 4k but it is GIANT and quite a beast, I have heard this one too: