Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: combining HITT and starting strength

[ QUOTE ]

just out of curiosity, what's your current and target weight, and how many calories are you eating per day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm now about 168 (having lost around 5-7 pounds) and I think my ideal weight would be about 163-165 (and I'm a little under 5'10"). Many people would probably look at me and think my weight is fine, but I know that I feel better when I'm kind of on the lighter side.

I'm not capable of keeping close track of calories, but would estimate that it's around 1800. I am, finally, pretty confident that I eat clean, though. Typical day is like this:

oatmeal with handful of raisins
banana and/or hard boiled egg
salad for lunch (adding chicken or tuna),
apple or carrots for snack
dinner of fish or turkey
snack of beef jerkey, cottage cheese, apple and peanut butter

Whatever that amounts to is working for me.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

AZK,

Is there a problem w/ doing HIIT on same days as SS (other than it being kind of overkill)? It's very tough to go out there 5 days a week.

Isn't doing some sort of cardio very important -- why did you drop HIIT completely?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AZK,

Is there a problem w/ doing HIIT on same days as SS (other than it being kind of overkill)? It's very tough to go out there 5 days a week.

Isn't doing some sort of cardio very important -- why did you drop HIIT completely?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 days one exercise a day wasn't as hard for me as 3 days with 2 of the days also doing a 2nd exercise, but everyone's recovery is different. If you do do 2 exercises in one day, one being HITT you will most likely need a PWO shake of some sort to replenish glycogen stores.

Why is cardio important?

I will occasionally do sprints, or a short run (nothing over 2.5miles) if hte mood strikes, you know, maybe once or twice a month, otherwise, I don't really do cardio.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why is cardio important?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't know whether it is or not. Once I drop a few more pounds and get to the desired weight, I wonder whether lifting without cardio (except for tennis) will suffice just to maintain my weight. I suppose this depends upon whether I stick to my current high-protein, low carb approach. And even if my diet stays the same, I guess I can't really know for sure whether cardio or HIIT will be necessary for weight maintenance until I try SS alone.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM

standard cardio can still be healthy and good for your heart/endurance etc...it just isn't good for fat loss...