Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: What really grinds my gears ...

Lindsay Lohan.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My gripe is they haven't made an excellent RPG this millenium. (or at least in recent memory)

I'll take a short polished interesting game over a long one that is repetitive and seems like little thought went to the experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhhh....

KOTOR
Final Fantasy X

Two of the best of all time mmkay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those aren't in the same league as Baldur's Gate imo. I hope they make a game like that sometime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take FFX over Baldurs Gate any day.

The Xenosaga games especially 1 and 3 are very good.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that Final Fantasy X is one of the best RPGs of all time you are out of your mind. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sphere system was great, a wonderful balance of keeping characters diversified but eventually being able to mold them however you want.

That they all have strengths and weaknesses was great. I loved the fact that you had to use more than one team if you didn't plan to power level. The turn based system was perfect. Being able to swap out characters mid battle added a whole new depth to the game.

That the game could be reasonably completed without using the sphere grid at all was a huge plus. I did it twice. The game had a ton of strategy to it, and there was always something you could do to win. Someone actually got to the final boss without using the Sphere Grid, Summons, or Overdrives (except when game-mandated). The game, which seems so inflexible at first, is probably the most flexible FF game of all time.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM

I don't agree with 2. Bioshock easily could have had a multiplayer...but it was a game that was delayed and they spent a lot of time making the single player experience excellent (agreed that it is a bit short). Would it have got the spectacular reviews if they took some time away from working on certain parts of the single player and added a crappy multiplayer just to "have one?"

I would much rather have a game developed for multiplayer (I.E. Warhawk) that focuses it's attention on making that the best or a game without multiplayer which focuses on making a great single player game than a game which has both done, but does one or both poorly.

While I'm glad most shooters nowdays have multiplayer, I don't think it's a must by any means. It definitely doesn't need to be a required tack on crap fest, or have so much time spent on multiplayer that the single player mode sucks.