Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ohio St 11-0
1 38 90.48%
2 2 4.76%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

I do not even understand what Doyle (or any other these other "high stakes poker" donk) are doing getting into a pot with Jamie Gold. Maybe they don't know that he is the world champion of poker, and that he made more money playing poker in 2 weeks time than any of those donks have made in their lives COMBINED.
When you go up against the Gold Machine, at a minimum you are always up against top top. The man always has a hand, and on those few times when he doesn't, he will outplay you and get you to fold the 2nd-3rd nut.
Jamie Gold is already the best pound for pound poker player in the WORLD, and soon he's going to be the best bluffer in the world too.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Esfandiari has to be the most annoying individual for every season he shows up. I really hope he plays well but runs horrible, goes broke, and starts crying on air.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM

I don't think Doyle is scared there, how many times has he talked about going broke in the past? He made a mistake, not a huge one but a mistake. He correctly read Jamie as strong but didn't realize, or didn't give enough weight to, the fact that Jamie overvalues hands and just because he thinks he has the nuts doesn't mean he actually has the nuts. Surely Jamie makes the same raise with any flush, you know Jamie plays any two cards, why put him on QXs or JXs there? I understand deep stacks make it different so it isn't horrible but I think it was the wrong play.

Tony
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread, got to the middle of the second page, but I just wanted to comment on the doyle vs gold hand. Some guy said 'if you're going to stack off with the 3rd nuts 400BB deep, you're probably a losing player', and I seriously LOL in your weak-tight face if you're so nitty that people always have a better hand when you get action that deep. In live games people regularly stack off with 1000BBs with one pair. I've won a 1200BB pot in live PLO for god's sake with one pair at showdown, all-in on the turn.

Secondly, regarding the specifics of the hand. It's pretty easy to discount any flush draw that includes the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in jamies' hand, given there's no way on earth he check-calls with a pair and a flush draw on the flop in late position. Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T x constitutes some small range of jamies hands as well - why should jamie put doyle on a flush draw if he's bet the flop? It would be a c/r for value against two pair/set etc and semibluffing should doyle have a flush. So Doyle should really be thinking that Jamie can only have one hand that beats his, the nuts, and against a spewtard like Gold (anyone who gives him one iota of poker competence, given what we've all seen, must be a losing player IMO), just shouldn't fold. The idea that he could fold any flush is absolutely laughable. Whether the best play on the turn is all-in or just call, I don't know, but I do know that I died a little inside when I saw brunson fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, even if you believe Doyle shouldn't have folded do you not see that AT BEST its a very very small +EV situation.

Doyle is sitting directly to the left of Jamie Gold who is sitting directly to the left of the amateur billionaire. You don't think that maybe he was waiting for a better spot? Its early and he has the two worst players directly to his right playing very deep stacked.

Sure he could have rebought but why take the crazy variance on a barely +EV play (and I still believe its -EV but whatever) that hand when he's likely to get many more better spots. I'm sure there's tons of ballas on 2+2 that will claim they'd take a $100001 to $100000 coin flip but it seems pretty stupid to me.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread, got to the middle of the second page, but I just wanted to comment on the doyle vs gold hand. Some guy said 'if you're going to stack off with the 3rd nuts 400BB deep, you're probably a losing player', and I seriously LOL in your weak-tight face if you're so nitty that people always have a better hand when you get action that deep. In live games people regularly stack off with 1000BBs with one pair. I've won a 1200BB pot in live PLO for god's sake with one pair at showdown, all-in on the turn.

Secondly, regarding the specifics of the hand. It's pretty easy to discount any flush draw that includes the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in jamies' hand, given there's no way on earth he check-calls with a pair and a flush draw on the flop in late position. Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T x constitutes some small range of jamies hands as well - why should jamie put doyle on a flush draw if he's bet the flop? It would be a c/r for value against two pair/set etc and semibluffing should doyle have a flush. So Doyle should really be thinking that Jamie can only have one hand that beats his, the nuts, and against a spewtard like Gold (anyone who gives him one iota of poker competence, given what we've all seen, must be a losing player IMO), just shouldn't fold. The idea that he could fold any flush is absolutely laughable. Whether the best play on the turn is all-in or just call, I don't know, but I do know that I died a little inside when I saw brunson fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard people mention it's impossible for Jamie to have a flush with the Js in it multiple times this thread, because he would not have check/called with it. This is an interesting point, but at the same time, this is exactly what he did in the hand against Baxter and Safai when he had J8cc on the 7cAcJs board. Harman, Farha, Baxter all checked before Gold, who then checked. Safai then bet 4000 into an 8000 pot, baxter made it 14000, and gold flatted. Ok, its a multi way pot and he is facing a bet and a raise, but Baxter was playing pretty aggro, and was liable to be raising there with a fairly wide range. Anyway, as it turned out, Baxter checked the Kd turn, Gold bet 50k, and took the pot.

Anyway, is it not possibly for Jamie to attempt to trap Doyle on the flop with Jxss and set up a check raise on the turn? On the flop Farha, Benyamine and Antonius all checked before Gold, who also checked to Brunson who then bet. This is similar action as the first hand, when Gold checked his combo draw with only a couple of people to act. So as far as his flop check goes, that doesn't rule out the Jsxx.

As far as jsut calling the flop bet, I don't see any reason to suggest why Jamie would necessarily raise 100% of the time there. The only hand remotely similar sees Jamie flat the action on the flop to a raise from an ultra aggressive player that he could easily have repopped again, with lots of money in the pot already.

So basically I disagree that Jamie could not have Jxss in that hand.

As for your comments about Doyle not being able to muck *any* flush, I find this laughable. Given that Doyle, Antonio, and who knows else are correctly reading Jamie for alot of strength (based on tells, betting patterns, whatever) following his turn check-raise, what the hell can he have?

Ok, barry thought he hit broadway. I guess that is a possibility. A flush, though, IMO, is the only other, and significatly more probable option, due to more possible combinations. Also, Jamie's inability to value bet a straight on a flushed board last week shows that he does display considerable apprehension with straights on 3 flushed boards. Barry/Doyle may not have seen/known this, but for you, having seen and known this, to say that folding any flush there is bad, shows that it is you that is absolutely laughable.

Ok, Doyle's fold of the 10 high flush was very marginal. Had he had the six or eight high flush, it then would have been a great fold, right? Would you still be saying his fold was absolutely laughable?

Anyway why bother trying to lecture you, you're too busy stacking off for 1200big blinds in PLO with 1 pair.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard people mention it's impossible for Jamie to have a flush with the Js in it multiple times this thread, because he would not have check/called with it. This is an interesting point, but at the same time, this is exactly what he did in the hand against Baxter and Safai when he had J8cc on the 7cAcJs board.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact we've seen multiple times (not just in HSP) Gold not playing strong draws very aggressively. Which is just one more reason he has a lot of work to becoming the best bluffer, but also a reason why the logic of him not having JcXc doesn't hold a lot of water.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny how this thread is going to be about "omg how can Doyle fold, wtf?" and if Jaime had J9ss instead of 97ss it would be "omg, Doyle is the best player ever". Either way I think you got to at least call against Jaime. I could definitely understand folding against some of the other players at the table, but not Jaime.

Esfandiari calling Sammy's A9 and Doyle's flush fold was pretty sick. He's not like Negreanu, who just says random stuff every hand and everyone just remembers when he's right.

Couple of nice folds by Sammy. He might appear as a psycho, but he does know when to fold at least.

Great episode I thought. Can't wait for the next one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] is "Jaime"?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not even understand what Doyle (or any other these other "high stakes poker" donk) are doing getting into a pot with Jamie Gold. Maybe they don't know that he is the world champion of poker, and that he made more money playing poker in 2 weeks time than any of those donks have made in their lives COMBINED.
When you go up against the Gold Machine, at a minimum you are always up against top top. The man always has a hand, and on those few times when he doesn't, he will outplay you and get you to fold the 2nd-3rd nut.
Jamie Gold is already the best pound for pound poker player in the WORLD, and soon he's going to be the best bluffer in the world too.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does antonio guess so well what other people have?

[/ QUOTE ]

They edit out the twenty+ times he is wrong?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How does antonio guess so well what other people have?

[/ QUOTE ]

They edit out the twenty+ times he is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I duno, he makes some pretty good reads on PAD this week.