Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Albert Pujols

I think having a winning attitude makes other players around you better. Many times these winning attitude actions do not show up in the boxscore. Things like swinging at a ball to help your base runner steal a base, hitting the ball to the right side to advance a runner, playing through minor injuries to help your team, etc.

People who don't think intangibles including clubhouse leadership are important have not played much sports. If the best players always won in the long run the Yankees would never lose a World Series.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2006, 02:19 AM

Most money!=best players, and the high variance nature of the baseball playoffs assures us that the best team will not always win. But seriously, what intangibles does Pujols or Jeter bring to the table that, say, Jason Bay doesn't? In my opinion, winning begets the intangible label, the intangible label does not beget winning.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that Albert Pujols had more than one interview? This was an interview with the St Louis Post Dispatch and not ESPN.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess so, but it is odd that it occurred on the same day, one outlet runs a headline "Pujols backs Bonds", the other runs an unattributed quote where Pujols is supposedly critical of Bonds.

From what I've seen from Pujols, he wouldn't take shots at someone like that, and believe me, in case you haven't notice Bonds is getting a wee bit of media attention right now, and if Pujols actually said negative things about him, it would headline sportsticker materail for three days solid.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:32 AM

I had to search but I found the link. It was from an interview with Bernie Miklasz, a St Louis Post Dispatch reporter for the past 17 years. I would say the interview statements are credible. Link HERE!

I don't think the Bonds comments were meant to be derogatory. He was stating it is sad all of the pressure and criticism that Bonds has been facing.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Wow, that Albert sure is a nice guy, I really like having him in the clubhouse, I think I'll go 3-for-3 today!"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Basically sums up my feelings on this "intangible" [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

people that 100% deny the existence of clubhouse chemistry and it's affect on winning are just as silly as those who might claim that Pujols clubhouse chemistry is as valuable as his on field contributions.

I hate to keep saying this, but the game isn't played by frickin robots. human emotion plays into this.

almost to a man the Red Sox from 2 years ago will say that their chemistry as a team helped them come back from 0-3. was it as important as Keith Foulke thwoing lights out or David Ortiz crushing the ball? No, but it's a factor...and contributed at some level to those performances.

you can either believe the guys who are actually playing and there, or choose to ignore this primary evidence.

the stats guys don't like intangibles b/c they are hard (or impossible) to quantify and are therefore extremely difficult to use in predicting future performance. but that doesn't mean they don't exist and aren't affecting curent performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you a question:

1) Do you play baseball?

I am pretty sure the answer to this is 'no'. That said, I actually DO play baseball. No one hits better because of some [censored] clubhouse mentality or whatever you assume exists. Sure, it helps perk the mood up, but no one goes up to bat and is like "Goddamn man, I am really bummed out, I think I am going to strike out" or some crap like that.

If it does exist (and you can't even prove that it doesn't exist, which is why people like you assume it does), then the effect is so minimal that it doesn't matter.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:16 AM

this issue has something to do with baseball, but has much more to do with human psychology and emotion. as a poster above alluded to, humans in general perform better (at all kinds of task) when surrounded by others who go out of their way to help them. it doesn't matter if you're hitting a baseball or shooting a 3 point shot or doing calculus or putting together an advertising campaign. baseball is far from some unique specialized human behavior that would leave it immune to these effects.

do I play baseball? it doesn't matter.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this issue has something to do with baseball, but has much more to do with human psychology and emotion

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on! Most of the posters here are young. Those of us with a wealth of "life experience" know there are good situations and bad situations. A good working environment and "team approach" is what is critical. Everyone working as a unit towards a goal. It's a great feeling and everyone does their part. Nothing succeeds like success. And the proper mental attitude accross the board is required for that success. I believe it all starts with management and filters down. Those of us who have worked several jobs over the year will know what I am talking about. In a bad organization there is an us versus them mentality. In a good organization everyone is happy and contributing towards the goal all the while having an enjoyable time (and consequently succeeding). I can pretty much guarantee if Jerry Manual were still managing the White Sox last season they don't even sniff the playoffs. I also feel strongly that Jim Leyland has been instrumental in the Tigers breakout this season. Players play and get paid exorbitant fees win or lose. You can clearly see some teams just go through the motions while others rise above the fray. This is generally not reflecting in any other statistic than WINS.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you a question:

1) Do you play baseball?

I am pretty sure the answer to this is 'no'. That said, I actually DO play baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing slow-pitch softball every Thursday night doesn't count.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Sure, but these guys are also professionals that have been playing baseball, most of them since they were 5. To compare them to you or me is a bit silly.

I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg argument. Does good chemistry foster winning, or does winning foster good chemistry?

In 2002, some of the Braves guys were talking up how they've had the best clubhouse since the 1995 season. The result? A first round exit in the playoffs.

Look at the 1986 Mets. That was far from a very good clubhouse, yet they made an improbably comeback to win the WS as well.

Yeah, it matters, but it's so overblown.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this issue has something to do with baseball, but has much more to do with human psychology and emotion

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on! Most of the posters here are young. Those of us with a wealth of "life experience" know there are good situations and bad situations. A good working environment and "team approach" is what is critical. Everyone working as a unit towards a goal. It's a great feeling and everyone does their part. Nothing succeeds like success. And the proper mental attitude accross the board is required for that success. I believe it all starts with management and filters down. Those of us who have worked several jobs over the year will know what I am talking about. In a bad organization there is an us versus them mentality. In a good organization everyone is happy and contributing towards the goal all the while having an enjoyable time (and consequently succeeding). I can pretty much guarantee if Jerry Manual were still managing the White Sox last season they don't even sniff the playoffs. I also feel strongly that Jim Leyland has been instrumental in the Tigers breakout this season. Players play and get paid exorbitant fees win or lose. You can clearly see some teams just go through the motions while others rise above the fray. This is generally not reflecting in any other statistic than WINS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball is basically a series of individual events, it's not like, say maybe football, where teamwork matters.