Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Are there three idiots in this hand?

My $10/$20 six max database on this site is < 9,000 hands, so I don't really know these guys. Cautious reads given where possible.

$10/$20 six max

Folded to the cutoff (reasonably aggressive, capable of testing you post-flop) who raises, button folds, small blind (slightly tricky but often tricky at the wrong time and/or in a stupid way) calls, big blind (reasonable, maybe bit to the aggressive side) calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Small blind bets, big blind calls, cutoff raises, small blind calls, the big blind now reraises and both call.

Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The small blind leads again, the big blind calls and the cutoff calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The small blind bets, the big blind raises, the cutoff calls two cold and the small blind calls.

Hands:
<font color=" #FFFFFF">
SB: Tc9s
BB: Ah6h
CO: AdKs
</font>

Did ANYONE play this hand well? Was the big blind out of line? Did the cutoff do the right thing going limp so early and staying limp through the end (in hindsight, I think the cutoff has a clear river raise)?

This hand stood out as pretty odd to me and I'd really like to hear comments on how all three players played the hand, but specifically about the cutoff and the big blind since I think it's pretty clear that the small blind's play sucked.

SpaceAce
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Are there three idiots in this hand?

I think the BB played the hand very well actually and CO played it fine albeit too passively. I think a river 3-bet is not completely clear, but likely best (obviously important thing is not folding). SB is an idiot obviously.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the BB played the hand very well actually and CO played it fine albeit too passively. I think a river 3-bet is not completely clear, but likely best (obviously important thing is not folding). SB is an idiot obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cutoff needs to raise the turn. BB's hand is either a set or a flush draw when he call-3bets the flop; it's rarely a weak K or twopair, though 2pr is possible. Once he calls the turn the gig is up and you know that you're ahead of SB the vast majority of the time (given how flop play and general "trickiness"/aggressiveness). The turn is a must raise in CO's shoes.

As he played it the river looks like a good 3bet, because A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] will pay off (hell, Ah6h might actually 3bet). He's got the best hand too often to worry about overcalls here.

The only clear idiot here is SB.

Rob
Old 12-10-2006, 05:02 PM

I think co played it fine since the sb is such a retard. Vs decent players I think co should have 3-bet.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Ent, I think CO was definitely too weak in this hand, but without any prior info on SB the turn donk bet shows a lot of strength (even though it's pretty clear BB has a flush draw given the flop+turn line) that I'm not completely convinced raising is more profitable than calling. River though, thinking about a little more, is a very clear raise.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ent, I think CO was definitely too weak in this hand, but without any prior info on SB the turn donk bet shows a lot of strength (even though it's pretty clear BB has a flush draw given the flop+turn line) that I'm not completely convinced raising is more profitable than calling. River though, thinking about a little more, is a very clear raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the description on SB and the board, I don't think you've got enough ahnds you have any legitimate fear of. He donked the flop then called a raise then called a call-3bet. Then he donked the turn. His hand will be a weak Kx at best far too often to let this turn go with one bet. On the river, the only hands of his that you've really improved to beat are 86 and K6, so if raising the turn isn't correct I'm not sure that 3betting the river is. On the turn you're geting paid off by way too wide of a range with SB and BB to not raise.

Rob
Old 12-10-2006, 05:36 PM

well my feeling on the turn/river thinking is that two pair hands will be a decent portion of SB's range on the turn, but given that we've improved to top two on the river 3-betting becomes more clear.

I think you are probably right wrt to the turn raise though as given the brief description of SB being trickish he is likely to be the type to c/r the turn with a hand better than ours and donk a lot of things that are worse.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:39 PM

In my experience the bb's line is always the flush draw. Sb almost never has a hand that is ahead of AK here on the turn so its a fairly obvious turn raise. The river is a clear 3 bet as well as its again obvious that bb has Axhh and rivered his ace and now thinks he's ahead. Small blinds play is obviously terrible co's play is pretty bad and bb's play is ok
Old 12-10-2006, 08:01 PM

Turn is a clear raise, however I don't think going for the overcall on the river is as bad as everyone seems to be suggesting.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:59 PM

I think:
1. the BB played it well.
2. the SB hates money.
3. the CO should have raised the turn, and 3-betting the river in his spot is awful.