Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: protein drinks and weight gain drinks

[ QUOTE ]
What is the purpose of carbs after the workout? Isn't dextrose a form of sugar which is kinda like taking empty calories? I thought carbs is for energy, so why take it AFTER the workout? I'm sure my logic is flawed, please explain....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a link that explains the importance of post workout carbs in detail and easy to understand language.

postworkout carbs
Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I reach my goal, do I need to take protein supplements for the rest of my life if I want to maintain my weight/size? Or can I just do my regualr workout....

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how much protein is in your diet. If you are taking in .75 to 1 gram per lb of bodyweight, then you should be able to maintain throughout your life. When you reach your goals, cut back on the extra protein a bit. If, after two or three months, you find that you are maintianing well, cut back a little more. Its really a formula that is different for everyone. The high quantities are basicaly for mass building in which case its better to err on the side of taking in to much protein rather than not enough.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine an "ex-personal trainer and bodybuilder" possibly discounting the use of Creatine. As Thremp pointed out, its pretty damn cheap, and it is widely considered one of, if not the #1, best supplement on the market. IMO, if you really wanna gain weight, creatine is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not discounting creatine. It is beneficial. I just personally don't believe its needed by beginners. I do believe its over hyped and people take it hoping that its a miracle supplement. I've used plenty of creatine in the past and will more than likely use it again. But its not necessary to make good gains, IMO.

But, if a person is going to use it, I think the most effective way is by taking a supplement like Cell Tech which increases uptake greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]Um OK now I agree with you. Also about the CellTech, even though I don't. Dry chalk in the mouth, wash down with water FTW.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM

A lot will depend on your metabolism, too. For a terribly hard gainer, you may have to keep eating massive amounts of food to maintain the muscle, too, not just to build it.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the most effective way is by taking a supplement like Cell Tech which increases uptake greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder you think creatine is a rip-off.

A post workout drink with malto and dextrose can accomplish what cell tech does at a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM

This dextrose that u say I can buy at Bulk Barn.....what form does it come in? A powder? Is honey just as good? How many spoons per PWO drink?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Dextrose looks just like table sugar. Honey is not as good; I think it's mostly fructose which is metabolized differently. You want a 2 to 1 mass ratio of dextrose to protein, so like 90g dex and 45g protein or whatever. It'll be really sweet. Lots of people say to mix 50/50 dextrose and maltodextrin.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No wonder you think creatine is a rip-off.

A post workout drink with malto and dextrose can accomplish what cell tech does at a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just the dextrose in the Cell Tech that makes it my choice when I am using creatine. Its also contains alpha lipoic acid which mimicks insulin and can enhance muscle cell nutrient uptake and protein synthesis.

Mixing dextrose into into a protein shake with creatine is fine and cheap. Its just not my particular choice.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM

onee,

Your body only handles a finite limit of creatine. For non-vegetarians you're typically only needing, as Blarg pointed out earlier, 1-2g to "top off" your tank. If you are like every normal human being there is no need to increase "uptake" of creatine.

While I think Jihad is wrong on almost everything, he's 100% correct on this issue. You buy bulk creatine monohydrate and take 5g of it per day until its gone. Its probably the most documented supplement and very standardized in how it should be taken.

slim,

I think you can look in the FAQ for a thread about PWO supplementation. If you can't find it, here's a quick and dirty:

1) 1/3 dextrose
2) 1/3 malto
3) 1/3 protei (fast acting, try to use hydrolysates though they take poopie)
4) Toss in some BCAAs
5) ?????
6) Profit

I personally have starting taking a half serving Pre workout and a full PWO. Its up to you how you do your stuff.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your body only handles a finite limit of creatine. For non-vegetarians you're typically only needing, as Blarg pointed out earlier, 1-2g to "top off" your tank. If you are like every normal human being there is no need to increase "uptake" of creatine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insulin controls cellular energy management and creatine is a form of cellular energy.

Creatine is transported into skeletal muscle by specific "transported molecules" on the muscle surface. The ability of these transporters to load the muscle with creatine is enhanced by insulin. Therefore, in theory, any maneuver that increases the release of insulin should likewise increase the absorption of creatine by muscle. For this reason creatine is often taken with carbohydrates that greatly enhance insulin release, such as glucose and dextrose. Such carbohydrates are described as being highly glycemic. The more glycemic the sugar the more creatine is absorbed by our muscles.