Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

Deadspin did a really good piece on Bonds
[ QUOTE ]
The key point to remember in the Barry Bonds indictment that went down yesterday afternoon is that we really don't have any new information. Whatever your thoughts on Bonds, it's clear that the government is out to get him. You might think he deserves it. He probably does. But there is no smoking gun; the feds have been trying for four years to come up with the definitive piece of damning information on Bonds. They never got it, but they indicted him anyway, under the belief that an indictment would corral all the negativity toward Bonds into a public relations typhoon he couldn't escape. Considering President Bush felt compelled to release a "this is a dark day for baseball" statement yesterday, they very well may be right.

Bonds, as is his wont, is surely going to fight this every step of the way, and it's only gonna get uglier. But let's be clear: Bonds is not being indicted for taking steroids, or ruining the game, or simply being an [censored]. He's being indicted for lying about something the government has yet to prove; it's the Martha Stewart principle. It's gonna be a tough case to prove, but that's not the point of this; it never was. Right now, the general public believes there's new information about Bonds, that the government is finally punishing him for the sins we all believe he committed. There isn't ... but we want our pound of flesh. We want justice. We want to see him suffer because ... well, because he's the symbol of how confused and conflicted we are about baseball in a post-steroid age. In a complicated issue, Bonds is blissfully simple: He's a jerk, he cheated, he broke all our favorite records. We want that pound of flesh. Give it to us.

And no one's really left anymore to defend Bonds. The Giants want nothing to do with him, Bud Selig is back to his passive-aggressive press release game and even the President is eager to sell him down the river. It's just Bonds, World's Most Loyal Friend Greg Anderson and Bonds lawyers, ready to fight a legal battle that they should win, but probably can't. They're gonna get you, Barry. This isn't even about you anymore; it's about a war we lost years ago but still feel compelled to fight. We need a witch to burn. It's you, Barry; it always had to be you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 02:46 PM

BTW lol at people not wanting Bonds on your team in that poll. I guess you don't want your team to win or you are a Red Sox fan (note this isn't a shot at Red Sox fan, but Ortiz/Manny/Bonds platoon,at LF/1B/DH) probably wouldn't work that well)
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW lol at people not wanting Bonds on your team in that poll. I guess you don't want your team to win or you are a Red Sox fan (note this isn't a shot at Red Sox fan, but Ortiz/Manny/Bonds platoon,at LF/1B/DH) probably wouldn't work that well)

[/ QUOTE ]

The question wasn't if the fans wanted their team to win.

Is it so unfathomable that maybe fans don't want a walking [censored] storm around their team everyday.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it so unfathomable that maybe fans don't want a walking [censored] storm around their team everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's ridiculous that fans don't want there teams to optimize winning.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Bonds gets cleared and the Twins decide they want to make a move and spend the money on a DH, and they get him, more power to them. I don't really think it would be a good move, especially in a market where athletes are loved at LEAST as much for their relationship with the media and fans as they are for their on-field prowess.

Signing Bonds, aside from being completely unrealistic, would also go against everything the organization has stood for in bringing the Twins back to relevance after a rough 1990s.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a totally visceral reaction, and completely understandable, IMO. Hell, I'm a Giants fan, and I'm pretty sure they can finish in last place without him.

I do wonder where management will put the Barry Bronze statue, especially if this doesn't turn out well.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, the general public believes there's new information about Bonds...there isn't...

[/ QUOTE ]

But it looks like there is - at least one of his perjuries is linked to a positive steroid test.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's ridiculous that fans don't want there teams to optimize winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Ridiculously expensive.

2) Injury prone. Like it or not, he's 43 and has has bad knees.

3) Defensive liability. Paying that much for a guy who you might get one, MAYBE two years out of to pretty much ONLY be a Designated Hitter doesn't make much sense.

You can win without Barry Bonds, as evidenced by the fact that he's never won a World Series ring. I don't think signing Bonds "optimizes winning" for every team, maybe no more than a few.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even before the indictment, I don't believe there were many teams interested. Oakland was the only team I ever heard mentioned. And he's just not productive enough anymore to merit the backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy is still an awesome hitter, he's just hurt a lot. Maybe mere excellence isn't good enough--I actually don't think it is.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can win without Barry Bonds, as evidenced by the fact that he's never won a World Series ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a totally meaningless argument. There is obviously no player who is 100% necessary to win the World Series, and I can't even believe you'd offer up something so simpleminded.

Besides which, weren't the Giants like 6 outs away with a 5 run lead or something crazy? And didn't Bonds have the best World Series performance EVER during that series?