Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Europeans why the speedo whats the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where you definitely have to differentiate between countries. I think it's only people in Mediteranean countries who think that speedos are a good idea. Mostly, it's shorts. Except in Scandinavia, if you go swimming there you die of exposure if you are not eaten by a polar bear immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is inconceivable that any Brit would wear speedos. Ever
Old 10-25-2007, 12:04 PM

donks, imo
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general consensus in the country i come from is that Americans are fat,uneducated,dress like [censored],stupid,overly patriotic and have [censored] food. Also people seem to think that your girls are ugly.

I've never really subscribed to that theory although the only places I've visited is the greater N.Y area and Northern California.

In the past three years I've started agreeing with all these things, the only difference is i don't apply it to Americans but the British.

FWIW I've lived in Britain for the last couple of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find your comments to be highly insulting and accurate.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 PM

Europeans:
Positives:
-easy going
-sane social policy
-sane government/religion
-better public education
-EXCELLENT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

Negatives:
-Think they know ALL ABOUT the U.S. because they see Hollywood movies and read Le Monde articles about us.
-Think America=Texas /is one homogeneous splotch of McMansions, strip malls, and McDonalds.
-Love to judge people based on their nationality.
-Know their culture is the best and are generally not open to foreign cultural influence. More true in France, less true in N. Europe.
-Think Americans are ignorant because we don't know about the rest of the world, meaning Europe. They are just as ignorant about Asia and Africa.
-Hate McDonalds, but I swear to god its more popular there than here. All the young folks go there. In the U.S. you see pathetic fat people.
-OBSESSED with America, and how inferior it is.

I do like Europeans, I just wanted to get the rants off my chest because it seems like the flak is always one way.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM

The thing about Europeans:

Europeans don't understand the massive divide in America between left wing and right wing. They assume that since Bush was elected there is a consensus about his policies. They don't understand that at least 40% of the population hates Bush and everything he stands for. They don't get that Left wingers and Right wingers don't merely disagree, they DESPISE each other. 40% of Americans actually agree with Europeans on almost all issues (not including the greatness of soccer), yet because of the way the government is set up the majority dominates and gets all the attention. NEWS TO EUROPEANS: American liberals hate Bush more than you ever could, after all, its OUR country he's destroying.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not necessarily my opinion but what I believe most americans believe...

[ QUOTE ]
More modern/less advanced?Europe wealthyer/more poor?

[/ QUOTE ]

for both questions, equal to some countries, greater than others. unless we're talking about places like Monaco but that doesn't count.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH RLY Why doesn't Monaco count??? moran.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They don't get that Left wingers and Right wingers don't merely disagree, they DESPISE each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that's what should bother them about this country more than anything. The continuing hateful fanatical divide in the US on both sides is a lot scarier than Bush or his detractors.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is one major cultural difference between Europe and the US, that hasn't gotten enough attention in this thread yet, imo.

In the US there seems to be an underlying mindset of: "Winner takes All"
This is definitely true for elections. Also most (all?) of US mainstream sports have no ties. The captain of the high school football team also gets to bang all the hot cheer leaders... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Basically in large parts of US society there is no place for a second winner, just for a first loser. This results in Americans being way more competitive and stressed all their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football and the All-Star Game can tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but there has only been maybe 1-3ties in the last decade of the NFL, its possible in the same sense that 70-63games are possible