Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

Most Americans think of Brits much differently than the rest of Europe, imo. Because of the common language, but also because of the cultural, political, and military connections. And Emma Watson. I think the average American has a much warmer view of a rando Englishman than of his French or Norwegian analogue.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 PM

I would venture to say that a good percentage of Americans could not point out Europe on a map. And I can say with certainty that a sizeable majority of American could not point out, say, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, or any other of a number of European countries on a map. The insularity of American culture is, in my experience, something that is difficult for Europeans to fully grasp.

So the answer to the question is, it depends:

Most don't have a view on Europeans at all.

Of those that do have a view, for the vast majority most of that view has been informed by right-wing rhetoric and propaganda. They, in general, look down on you.

Very few have enough experience to actually have a view informed by experience. Views informed by experience vary, as you might expect.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most Americans think of Brits much differently than the rest of Europe, imo. Because of the common language, but also because of the cultural, political, and military connections. And Emma Watson. I think the average American has a much warmer view of a rando Englishman than of his French or Norwegian analogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? Are we being compared to the French now? Thats uncalled for [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say that a good percentage of Americans could not point out Europe on a map. And I can say with certainty that a sizeable majority of American could not point out, say, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, or any other of a number of European countries on a map. The insularity of American culture is, in my experience, something that is difficult for Europeans to fully grasp.

[/ QUOTE ] I think a sizeable majority of Europeans could not point out any US state save for maybe Florida, Hawaii and Alaska on a map.

edit: I don't really know. Maybe close to 50% of adults could manage California and Texas too. But I really, really doubt it. Anyway I would be shocked if more than 5% could tell you where Wyoming and Arkansas are. I know there's no way I could do it.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do Not Want!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your average European have limited knowledge about where the different US States are as well, so this is by no means a one-way street. A lot of Europeans overestimate the knowledge of geography among fellow Europeans, and at the same time being almost certain that Americans are way mor eignorant about the same topic.

I believe most europeans would score terribly if you gave them a map of the US and asked them to name and place the various states. This despite the fact that Europeans are exposed to a lot more American culture and media than the other way round. I guess Texas, California and Florida would be the 3 states most people would get right, just like Americans would know England, Spain and Italy.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM

Stereotypes incoming!

Americans are fat, they drink and drive alot and those with an higher education are lawyers and help people sue McDonalds for making them fat.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stereotypes incoming!

Americans are fat, they drink and drive alot and those with an higher education are lawyers and help people sue McDonalds for making them fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually...this is pretty good. I dont know abotu drinking and driving everywhere, but there isnt anyone who doesnt do it here in the midwest.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally like Europeans. They seem to "get it" about the important stuff, like family and vacations and work/life balance. It's tough to generalize because of all the different countries but that's my overall sense.

I understand that you may be interested in the thoughts of Americans on this matter but I don't think you're going to get much out of it. Most Americans think about very little beyond food and tv. Plus, Americans are all so different. I'm a northern liberal. I like hockey and Democrats, I live in an urban apartment, shop at a natural foods co-op and so forth. I drive a German car. I have way, way more in common with your average European (at least, in the Western European countries) than I do with a huge numbers of Americans (maybe even most). For instance, people in the South. I have nothing in common with them. Nothing. Their accents are ridiculous, they're politically retarted and their insanely consumeristic and narrow minded.

I guess the thing I like best about Europeans is that they don't have huge political blocs in their country that are trying to roll them back to the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is (hopefully), one of the best satirical posts on the internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That post crushed it. When i hear about bible belt, god fearing, ignorant, highly conservative Americans i just can't believe they get a vote in my country.

Nothern/liberal America vs Southern/conservative America is likely as different as any two European countries. I like learning about new cultures and seeing new countries, a lot of these people might never leave the country their whole life.

Unfortunately our geography tends to force a cultural ignorance upon us. Canada above us is a very similar country, and Mexico below us is only visited when people want to get drunk on a resort. Most others are an ocean away. I'm not saying that makes it OK for so many of us to be so clueless, but at least there's a reason.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think a sizeable majority of Europeans could not point out any US state save for maybe Florida, Hawaii and Alaska on a map.

[/ QUOTE ]
US States != Nations

I think a more interesting test would be to compare how many South American nations a fairly large sample size of Europeans and Americans would be able to place on a map. One might think that geographical proximity would give Americans an edge, but I have a feeling the Euros would score better...