Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Top two against tight player

Villain is playing 15/11/2.9 and I'm playing TAG. We haven't tangled. Is it fine to CR turn? Or do you prefer a different line?

EverestPoker Game #2129338174: Table Bamako-16 - $2.00/$4.00 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:01:08 - 2007/09/26
Seat 1: incicco ($435.00)
Seat 2: shark5xx ($648.48)
Seat 3: Maartz ($414.30)
Seat 4: Djegum ($461.20)
Seat 5: chankinski ($1,285.50)
Seat 6: HERO ($392.00)
HERO posts the small blind of $2.00
incicco posts the big blind of $4.00
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO[Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
shark5xx folds
Maartz folds
Djegum raises to $14.00
chankinski folds
HERO calls $12.00
incicco folds
*** FLOP *** [5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
HERO checks
Djegum bets $22.00
HERO calls $22.00
*** TURN *** [5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
HERO checks
Djegum bets $48.00
HERO raises to $168.00
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Top two against tight player

I like leading turn, c/r makes it easy for villain to dump hands like AK plus it risks problems with him checking behind. Lead turn, lead river probably gets two bets from AK/AJ.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like leading turn, c/r makes it easy for villain to dump hands like AK plus it risks problems with him checking behind. Lead turn, lead river probably gets two bets from AK/AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, but we ain't folding to a raise on any street, right?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, but we ain't folding to a raise on any street, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 AM

I 3-bet or fold preflop here most of the time even though calling is OK once in a while esp sinse its suited, AQ plays bad OOP vs nits.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet or fold preflop here most of the time even though calling is OK once in a while esp sinse its suited, AQ plays bad OOP vs nits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think calling here is standard for me. Because I know that if I 3-bet his calling range is crushing me. If I call he will be in there with a range that I'm a head of. Besides, I'm not only calling to hit a Q or an A - I'm going to CR bluff pretty often as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM

I like to take the lead somewhere in the hand also, mostly because this is the only way I can get bets in on all 3 streets. c/c turn and lead riv or lead turn.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think calling here is standard for me. Because I know that if I 3-bet his calling range is crushing me. If I call he will be in there with a range that I'm a head of. Besides, I'm not only calling to hit a Q or an A - I'm going to CR bluff pretty often as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying you are wrong, I think AQo probably can show a profit the way you play it. I think it'll show more profit by 3-betting pf though, because (assuming an appropriate 3-bet size of ~$40)...

If he calls with less than 33% of his opening range, you show an immediate profit. And, the "crushing you range" is way less than 33% of his opening range. If he calls with more than 33% of his range (but less than 100%), you make some immediate profit through fold equity AND you are not crushed when called. However, your hand is easier to play posflop OOP since you have the initiative and your opponents range is more narrowly defined.

Also, have a fiddle with ranges because you're probably not actually *that* far ahead of his weaker range when you just call preflop. Almost certainly not far ahead enough to over-come your positional disadvantage... even with some c/r bluffs.

Sorry to turn this into a boring pf thing... as played, I think I like check / call turn, lead river to extract from the widest range of hands.... or lead turn / lead river, I guess.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM

yeah a turn c/r here is pretty horrible against this guy. Leading big on turn and river is far better.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM

I like calling preflop, for the same reason i like 3betting a lot of crappy hands vs this guy. He's going to call very very tight and its better to play this hand for value and change some other hands into bluffs.

Youre image is probably good/solid so i dont like the c/r too much. I dont change the 'flow' of a hand very often but i like leading the turn and betting the river in this hand