Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Default 10NL: monster against a nit - line check and strategy (140BB deep)

I deviated from my standard play in this hand since the villain was an absolute nit. Normally I took my distance from his hands but the rest of the table was really juicy so there was every reason to stick around.

Comments on all streets and my plans are welcome.

<u>Reads:</u>Villain is extremely selective with his hands and when enters the pot, plays aggressively. Folds on dangerous boards to aggression, though. The very embodiment of übernit.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($9.90)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($13.90)</font>
UTG ($10.70)
MP ($4.30)
CO ($5.65)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($18.75)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.40, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $0.7</font>, Hero calls $0.70.

<font color="green">Normally I would have lead the flop, but against this particular villain I knew that unless he had a good hand, he would just give up. His earlier play suggested that b/c and b/3b would cause him to shut down. So I needed him to improve if I wanted to get his stack. Villain's opening range against a limper was likely 66+/AJ+.</font>

Turn: ($2.55) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2.

<font color="green">Perfect flop. If villain had an overpair, he got the exact card to stack off. I bet out, planning to b/c and shove any river. At this point I already removed overcards from villain's range of holdings.</font>

River: ($6.55) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $15.55</font>, Hero calls $5.70 (All-In).

<font color="green">Shove was only going to get called by QQ, everything else at least called. I got what I wanted.</font>

Final Pot: $27.95

This is one of those hands that we all wait for. However, it required me to get to river to play for stacks. The strategy question I have is therefore this: I had a specific read on my villain this time - what types of villains would stick around against a b/3b line on a flop like that? With a flopped top boat I'd naturally love to get the money in as soon as possible.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: 10NL: monster against a nit - line check and strategy (140BB deep)

I c/r the flop if hes a typical NL10 nit. He'll call the flop with the draw on board and wont fold unless scare cards come. If turn comes a bad card for you he will shut down and you will lose value. As it is the perfect card came on the turn so your able to get it in no problem. nh.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:03 PM

I think villain is calling a shove here with AA/KK/AQ/JJ along with QQ (I also think that all of these fit the bill for his entire line). The flop call/turn lead looks a lot like a small/medium PP and when he calls, I think it's likely that you can get stacks in, since he needs to put you on EXACTLY 99 to feel behind. I'd shove the river because I think a good amount of players are just calling the river.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:53 PM

I actually considered shoving first, but since the villain was far nittier than the usual, decent 10NL players I didn't believe it'd get called by anything other than QQ. Sure, by betting about half my stack I exceeded all commitment thresholds but it's not certain that villain was even conciously aware of the concept.

Oddly enough, even the standard ABC-tight sphincters on Stars appear to treat overbet shoves on river as signs of huge hands. For what it's worth, villain did this with AA. He also ended up on my notes. Anyone that tight should be easy to exploit if I ever find myself on the same table again.

Bugger, if I had known what hand he held, I would have taken the b/3b line from flop. A player that TAG would have played for stacks on any non-spade turn.