Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: 44...Shall We Play Along?

I pretty much never cold-call here. I almost never three-bet, either, but I like that option better than cold-calling at all but the most calling-stationest of tables.

-McGee
Old 05-14-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a 24/11/1.4 opens UTG+1, i ___________ next in with 4 4 . hopefully you guys choose an option that allows the playalong to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you sit on this players left is so you know when to fold hands like this.

Stu
Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM

This is an easy coldcall at my 2/4 table as there will usually be least 5 to the flop. Yesterday I opened UTG about 3 times and each time there was 7/8 players to the flop.

Concentrate really hard on flopping your set cuz I'm guessing you'll most likely have to let it go to a continuation bet if there are lots to act behind you?

GkillingB&M2/4tothetuneof51cents/hourG
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

several loose, but mostly passive players. we will have other coldcallers.

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

In order to make a cold call correct you have Know a few of things.

1. There will be 5+ players seeing the flop
2. There will not be any more raises behind you.
3. You will get plenty of action if you hit your set.

If you do not know those things with near certainty than this is a fold. What seperates the mediocre winning players from great winning players is how they define Know.

Stu
Old 05-14-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is an easy coldcall at my 2/4 table as there will usually be least 5 to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

"usually" is not enough.

Stu
Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why a few people are mentioning "cold calling" - the OP didn't say the pot had been raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

"opens" = raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this common usage on 2+2? I have never heard of that being the case unless it says specifically "opens for a raise". Even if that is common usage, it certainly would be more clear (and no more difficult) to say either "limps" or "raises".
Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much never cold-call here. I almost never three-bet, either, but I like that option better than cold-calling at all but the most calling-stationest of tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, late position i would consider 3betting on occasion. in this spot with so many left to act i think coldcalling is going to fare much better if you can encourage people to call two cold along with you. i felt i was at a table that i could get at least a couple behind me and with the blinds often calling, i called.

for Stu: what i like the least about calling here(besides the guessing game about how many may call behind me)is going to be my position relative to the preflop raiser if i hit my set after the flop. it makes it difficult to maximize value with the betting coming immediately from my right. for me, that was the biggest drawback. but alas, as i am a set miner i did indeed call.

as a tribute to my poor decision-making only one person coldcalled behind me. a 14/6/1.2 on the button. also, unknown bb called as well.

Flop(8.5sb): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

bb checks, UTG+1 bets, i...
Old 05-14-2007, 05:54 PM

i fold in this situation as well.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, late position i would consider 3betting on occasion. in this spot with so many left to act i think coldcalling is going to fare much better if you can encourage people to call two cold along with you. i felt i was at a table that i could get at least a couple behind me and with the blinds often calling, i called.

for Stu: what i like the least about calling here(besides the guessing game about how many may call behind me)is going to be my position relative to the preflop raiser if i hit my set after the flop. it makes it difficult to maximize value with the betting coming immediately from my right. for me, that was the biggest drawback. but alas, as i am a set miner i did indeed call.

as a tribute to my poor decision-making only one person coldcalled behind me. a 14/6/1.2 on the button. also, unknown bb called as well.

Flop(8.5sb): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

bb checks, UTG+1 bets, i...

[/ QUOTE ]

call, and reevaluate.

this sets up a turn play that i have in mind...

also, raising the flop means that we have to dodge the button and BB having an 7, 8, something like JT, etc which will easily call a flop raise. if we want em out, now is not the time.

also, from what i know of online poker, lots of folks play fit or fold...thus, i dont think people with naked overs are going to overcall here.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM

Pretty easy fold on the flop as well, but I'm guessing that you raised to isolate. I'm pretty sure the raise will get BTN out unless he connected with the flop (and if he calls 2 I assume we're check/folding a non-4 turn), so in that light it's a decent enough move. The problem is that, even if UTG really does just have unimproved overcards, we've got a bunch of cards to dodge between here and the river. And 24/11 guys don't end up with a 1.4 AF by check/folding a lot of turns when their AK whiffs.