Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Read the brief, nice background \"facts\" , but procedural quagmire

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, my friend just confirmed that the word chilled was first coined by an African American music artist named James Brown. So it is infact a 'negro' word. Its interesting to see how even the American legal system was influenced by hip hop music.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

Also please note that India Pale Ale is more bitter than English Pale Ale because the British used hops as a natural preservative in beer, and would put more in to ship beer to their colonies in India, hence the names.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, my friend just confirmed that the word chilled was first coined by an African American music artist named James Brown. So it is infact a 'negro' word. Its interesting to see how even the American legal system was influenced by hip hop music.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure what is written above is factual.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Not sure how far back this term goes in court decisions. I think it may be farther back than 1950's. OTOH most decisions dealing with laws that have a chilling affect on constitution rights start from the 1950's.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure how far back this term goes in court decisions. I think it may be farther back than 1950's. OTOH most decisions dealing with laws that have a chilling affect on constitution rights start from the 1950's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree. Also, it is definitely plausable that James Brown borrowed the phrase from earlier Blues and Jazz musicians. I could be mistaken, but I think I remember seeing it used in Jack Kerouac's On The Road.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM

In the 1980s and 1990s, chill gained currency as a slang term meaning "to relax, calm down." It is first recorded in 1979 and comes from Black English slang, which has frequently been a source of slang and informal words in Standard English, often through the medium of various African-American musical styles (in this case, rap and hip-hop). In fact, the word chill has had several incarnations as a slang term both inside and outside Black English. An older slang sense, recorded first in the 1870s, has been "to lose interest (in something), sour (on something)." Since the late 1920s it has also been used transitively to mean "to quash" and even "to kill." The recent use in the sense "to calm down" is another example of slang's innovativeness: English has always used words referring to heat and cold metaphorically to refer to emotions, and has used cool to refer to calmness since Old English times. Chill is a novel way of saying cool down, an old metaphor. The semantic evolution of chill continues as this is being written; the new sense of "to relax" has even more recently been extended to mean "to relax among friends, socialize." Chill thus offers a good example of how living languages are constantly changing in ways that are at once unpredictable and immediately comprehensible. (from on living languages)
Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM

sorry for the derailment. I looked over some of these pleadings and they are crap. I would worry too much about them totally failing to satisfy the procedural formalities of the TRO; the odds of getting one would have had to have been close to zero.