Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Buying a guitar (electric)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to spend like $500-700 on the guitar and $300-400 on an amp. Maybe some accessories too, any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who gives you an answer without asking what kind of music you want to play is an idiot. Guitars for blues are different than guitars for rock are different than guitars for country.

Sooooo... what kind of music are you trying to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly, you can play any kind of music on most any kind of (electric) guitar. I assumed he wanted electric as he stated he was interested in also purchasing an amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moron. We all assumed he wanted an electric. The fact is that different guitars have different tones that are more applicable to different styles of music. The fact that you think we are discussing whether to buy electric or not shows how very little you know about the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah he might've suggested a Les Paul style guitar. And oh god, that can only play rock. I mean blues. I mean country. Damn, maybe he should go with a strat style. That can only play rock. I mean blues. I mean country.

Hmm.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM

I recommend a schecter for that price range.. You get seymour duncan pickups. They also come with a tap coil to disable the humbucker and make it play as a single coil.

Play one in guitar center to test out the range but im sure it will impress you. Suits a decent range of music due to the different sounds.

Should be around 500 and then you can pickup a cheap amp with some good effects built in... Crate is good for cheap stuff.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:18 AM

Buy used.

Tone is in the fingers. The fact is, an experienced player can get a good tone for any style with just about any guitar by using the right amp/pedal combinations. Do not get hung up on stuff like “Jerry used a Les Paul and a Soldano amp so I need that gear to sound like him.” bullshyte. You could come pretty damn close to “man in a box” with a strat, blues jr and a good pedal like a fulldrive 2 or a soul bender.

Tube amps are the best, no doubt about it, but you have to crank them to sound good. Even 15 watt amps are way, way to loud for an apartment. You are best off getting a Vox Valvtronix. Second choice would be a Fender Blues Jr. The guy who said get a 5150 is nuts. The paint will be coming off the walls before you get it half way up.

Most of a guitars playability comes from the setup. A good tech can take a piece of crap hondo or samick and turn it into a really good playing guitar. Almost any new guitar needs a set up. Even expensive Gibsons and Fenders. You would be best off getting a used Squire or Epiphone and spending $50 to $100 for the best guitar tech you can find to give it a good setup. This would include leveling the frets, rounding the edges, setting innotation, adjusting nut height, straightening the neck and so on. After that, your $400 copy would probably play better than the $4000 Paul hanging on the wall at Guitar Center.

Go to the biggest store in town and play a bunch of guitars. Note things like the shape of the neck and the shape of the body. See which feels best to you. Then buy used.