Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Buying a guitar (electric)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to spend like $500-700 on the guitar and $300-400 on an amp. Maybe some accessories too, any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who gives you an answer without asking what kind of music you want to play is an idiot. Guitars for blues are different than guitars for rock are different than guitars for country.

Sooooo... what kind of music are you trying to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly, you can play any kind of music on most any kind of (electric) guitar. I assumed he wanted electric as he stated he was interested in also purchasing an amp.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 AM

As far as places to buy, don't go to Guitar Center - their employees suck and have attempted to rip me off on numerous occasions, aside from pushing on me crap I don't want/they are trying to move. You'd be much better off going to a smaller shop, more knowledgable/helpful staff that will find you what you want.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to spend like $500-700 on the guitar and $300-400 on an amp. Maybe some accessories too, any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who gives you an answer without asking what kind of music you want to play is an idiot. Guitars for blues are different than guitars for rock are different than guitars for country.

Sooooo... what kind of music are you trying to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly, you can play any kind of music on most any kind of (electric) guitar. I assumed he wanted electric as he stated he was interested in also purchasing an amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moron. We all assumed he wanted an electric. The fact is that different guitars have different tones that are more applicable to different styles of music. The fact that you think we are discussing whether to buy electric or not shows how very little you know about the subject.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:45 AM

For accessories, I'd go with the Big Muff distortion pedal. It's some of the sweetest distortion sound out there. You can get a full-on fuzz, or you can adjust the tone and get a nice straight-ahead rock distortion. Also, a wah pedal can be fun. I also like the DOD Icebox chorus pedal for an additional sound. I'd also recommend getting something a multi-effect pedal that lets you program and create, just to mess around with. They're fun and good to start off with.

Don't go too much on an amp. A good 50-75 watt amp will be plenty. Tube amps are a more pure sound. They're more expensive, but worth it. Plug in an Ibanez tube screamer and you're gonna get some great distortion. Just don't try to assemble a wall of speakers like you'd see in concerts - most of those are just there for show. Look at a setup some time, there's just a couple of the speakers mic'd, the rest aren't even plugged in I bet. Go for a controllable, good sound, and if you need more power, mic it up.

I have an older, cheap Ibanez that I like, but just go to a store, play some and see what you like. Find one you like in the price range, and then go play some others, and come back another day and check it out again.

I've got a Fender solid state amp, 80-watts. I forget the model. My friend's had it for a while. It's a nice amp that puts out a good, clean sound. I have the muff pedal, and a second Boss distortion pedal for distortion.

Just go try out different amps and guitars and see what you like.

Fenders = good clean sound
Marshalls = good distortion sound
5150's a nice sound too. Van Halen used one.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 AM

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

You will be better with a 300-400 guitar and a 500-700 amp [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 AM

DJ -

Super weird. I was just thinking of doing the same thing.

All,

Is there a newegg.com for guitars?(good prices...reliable..fast shipping...big selection..etc)
Old 03-17-2007, 03:15 AM

MusiciansFriend
Old 03-17-2007, 04:03 AM

If you want a hard rock guitar with a whammy, look for an old Hamer Centaura, Chaparral ("Chap"), or Diablo. If you don't want a whammy, look for a Hamer Studio or humbucker-equipped Special. With all Hamers, make sure it says "USA" on the headstock next to the logo (you don't want the imported models). Hamer is one of the few affordable brands that I'm comfortable buying without trying. For any other brand in your price range, I highly recommend you try the actual guitar in person before you buy.

For a total beginner, the Line 6 amps are a good way to get educated about the various flavors of amps out there. The Tech 21 Trademark 60 is also a surprisingly good amp. Tube amps like the Fender Blues Jr. and the Peavey Classic 30 are fine, but for the kind of music you're looking to play you'll need to buy pedals to get the kind of distortion you need. For your situation I think a Line 6 would be the most sensible route.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 AM

i just bought a late 80's zion radicaster for 200 bucks. i am so stoked. it looks like hell but it plays awesome.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 AM

This is true, it really does depend on what style of music you want to play. The reason I mentioned american strat is because they definately hold their value better than guitars like schecters or ibanez. I have really been impressed with schecters lately. I really thought the blackjack series was pretty well built. Ibanez has always been pretty meh with me. I have played some I enjoyed, and some I really did not care for.

As far as an amp goes, if youre a tune freak like some of us, I would recommend tube amps. They have a much warmer, real tone than solid state amps. If you dont mind too much, line six makes a very nice modeling amp that can give you tons of different cool sounds and you wont need a pedal. My only pet peave with the line six is the clean channel blows pretty hard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Otherwise its decent.

Fwiw, if you crank up a blues junior or peavey classic 30 and get those tubes nice and hot, and use the correct pickup comb on a strat (I think its the 2 back single coils combined) you can get a very nice rock tone. You have to realize, most bands that you think use distortion actually dont. They just overdrive the [censored] out of their amps.

I just had a thought, the Fender Hot Rod deluxe is a SICK amp for rock. Really nice clean channel, and like 3 overdrive channels iirc. Sounded amazing with my cousins am. deluxe strat.

Epiphones can be pretty nice, and are not terribly expensive. They are just Gibsons sub-company. I had an epi les paul for my first guitar and it is still to this day my fav guitar. Granted I replaced the pickups, put new tuners on, etc. Its a unique guitar, but awesome.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.