Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 02:51 PM

Default PartyPoker native Mac client

Hello,

I just noticed that Party now offers a Mac client. No, I'm not talking about the "partypoker anywhere" Java applet. It's a real actual OS X client. If you go to their download page on an OS X box, that's what you get.

How long has this been around? Anyone know?

Good news for Mac-using online poker players who don't like playing against Americans, I suppose.

Guy.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker native Mac client

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I just noticed that Party now offers a Mac client. No, I'm not talking about the "partypoker anywhere" Java applet. It's a real actual OS X client. If you go to their download page on an OS X box, that's what you get.

How long has this been around? Anyone know?

Good news for Mac-using online poker players who don't like playing against Americans, I suppose.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i tried it, and i really don't like it.
it use way to much cpu, at least on my macbook.

running the windows native party client within parallels virtual machine actually consumes less cpu on my macbook than the native mac client. thats kinda disappointing.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

running the windows native party client within parallels virtual machine actually consumes less cpu on my macbook than the native mac client. thats kinda disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually kinda amazing. Impressivly bad programming.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:30 AM

How is it in general running Parallels for online poker? I toyed with the idea of getting a MBP awhile ago, but I ultimately wimped out because I wasn't sure how well it would work. In the past, when I've used other VM software (for Windows on Linux, or vice versa), audio was a problem--in those cases, the sound apparently wasn't getting re-routed out to the host machine. No sound is obviously a big minus for online poker, so I gave it a pass and ultimately got a ThinkPad.

From what I found out later on, Parallels does re-route sound, so I guess I would have come out OK after all. Maybe I'll go get myself an early Xmas gift, if I keep building my stack up....

Are you happy with the whole MacBook/Parallels combo, both for poker, and for general use? Thanks...
Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it in general running Parallels for online poker? I toyed with the idea of getting a MBP awhile ago, but I ultimately wimped out because I wasn't sure how well it would work. In the past, when I've used other VM software (for Windows on Linux, or vice versa), audio was a problem--in those cases, the sound apparently wasn't getting re-routed out to the host machine. No sound is obviously a big minus for online poker, so I gave it a pass and ultimately got a ThinkPad.

From what I found out later on, Parallels does re-route sound, so I guess I would have come out OK after all. Maybe I'll go get myself an early Xmas gift, if I keep building my stack up....

Are you happy with the whole MacBook/Parallels combo, both for poker, and for general use? Thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

in general i am quite satisfied with the setup.
everything is working well enough.

sound is there, but cracking at times.
parallels seems to have a bit more overhead than vmware which i am used to run on windows/linux machines.
so i am also looking forward to the beta of vmwares mac software.

but i've had absolutely no problems so far running party, stars, pokertracker (with remote postgres db) and pokerace hud in xp within parallels vm.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For poker I am finding it just fine so far. Party and Stars + tracker + PAHUD run no problem. Caveat: I always have sound switched off when playing poker, don't play music at the same time, and am not a massive multitabler. Four max.

I am not sure what other uses there are for windows machines so I will not respond to the "general use" part of your question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But my experience of Parallels is that it is pretty darn zippy. Most impressively, XP boots up in under 15 seconds, which I've never seen on a real PC... (To forestall the windows zealots: I am sure it's possible on high spec lean configurations, but I've never seen one.)

Guy.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more than just disappointing. It's plain weird. They must have worked really hard to achieve that.

Ah well. A client for Mac is better than no client, I suppose.

Guy.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more than just disappointing. It's plain weird. They must have worked really hard to achieve that.

Ah well. A client for Mac is better than no client, I suppose.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it is ridiculous. i am just testing it again.
i am obersving exactly ONE(!) table with the lobby minimized. and this native client totally consumes one of the CPU cores!