Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Running Backs (Pick 3)
Larry Johnson 18 33.33%
Willis McGahee 16 29.63%
Clinton Portis 1 1.85%
Thomas Jones 10 18.52%
Frank Gore 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: PPA should disassociate itself from scandal ridden CEO Poker tour

[ QUOTE ]
No, although I am totally on your side I have to make a correction here. CEO Tours infer this type of relationship by the partnership language, (I do not believe the word sponsor is ever used), but if you read the press release you see that what is described is merely the inclusion of materials for the PPA in CEO Tour Gift Bags, and a banner at events. I will allow you that these were some of the benefits of sponorships of various levels being pitched by the company, which lead to the possibility of a misinterpretation of a paid relationship. It was clear to me that the release was written to overstate what was actually ocurring in every possible way to gain credibility for the CEO Tour by associating with the PPA. This is a pattern used over and over by Maria and William.

I would guess that the President of the PPA made the mistake of, at best, approving only his quote and not approving the entire document, let alone allowing a true public relations professional, (or whatever passes for one on the PPA staff), vet the document. While this once again shows a disappointing but expected lact of competence on the PPA's part, I do not think anyone can say they played in a CEO Tour event because of the association with the PPA. I would hope the PPA is much more careful about vetting even simple associations in the future, and are certain that no relationship the PPA has with any company can be construed as an endorsement.

Frankly, while reseaching the CEO Tour issues, I was much more concerned to read that they stated their contributions were not tax-deductible because of the great amount of lobbying the organization did. Lobbying is the primary organizational function for a 401(c)(4), the reason they cannot qualify for tax deductibility for donors is that the PPA is neither a volunteer fire department, nor a veteran's organization consisting of ninety percenty veterans. However, I would urge Greg and the PPA to consider what is standard operating in DC, which is to sandwich a 401(c)(3), charitible organization, that also mainly focuses on lobbying but gains tax deductibility for donors, and a 527 group for political organization, which will allow the PPA to organize to effect elections, on top of the existing 401(c)(4). It requires more filings, and the accounting for the fundraising becomes more complex, but it is entirely legal. They should also note that although PPA donations are not deductible for individuals, they may be deductible as business expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean 501(c)(3)?