Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Assumptions about a well known poker pro.

standard.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM

you are talking about, Mads Andersen, Theo Jørgensen vs. Gus Hansen, right?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Hey wouldn't the pro still have to pay US taxes on his winnings 35%

Oh wait it might be Gus-- you need winning for them to be taxed I get it
Old 01-01-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The player is the one who needs to worry, not the backer.

If the backer claims he owns (for example) 50% of the win, he is responsible to his tax jurisdiction for taxes on that amount. If he happens to live in a tax haven, which does not collect on gambling winnings, etc., he has fulfilled his duties.

The envelope returned to the player is a "gift." It is up to the player to report that additional income.

I am not a tax attorney, or an accountant, so I may be way off base. There may be a potential conspiracy to evade taxes, etc. that I am not aware of. However, this seems akin to offshore, tax-free (or reduced tax) shelters.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're assuming, for purposes of this thread, that the backer either never takes his 50% share in reality, or kicks it back to the player via some back-channel method. If he just keeps it himself and spends it, then we mostly don't have anything interesting to talk about, and I guess he's just darn lucky that he keeps backing all these winners.

But if he does one of these two things, he's criminally liable for conspiracy or for aiding and abetting under the host country's laws, which pretty much makes him equally culpable with the player. This might not bother him if he never enters the host country's jurisdiction, but if he makes a practice of doing so then he has something to worry about.

This whole arrangement, frankly, strikes me as a lot of work to accomplish something which is no different in effect than any situation where you receive money and then omit it from your tax return at the end of the year. The difference being, if you win money on PokerStars and don't report it, it's unlikely that anyone will ever know. But if you win money in a tournament and use this method to avoid reporting it, you've left a very suspicious paper trail for the authorities to follow. It doesn't strike me as clever at all.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thank god for canada and it's taxless gambling...you americans lose a lot to taxes eh...sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 AM

Im sorry but this is a brillaint way to circumvent the IRS. Namely because gifts from foriegners are tax-free! So the foriegn "talent scout" gifts the money back to the unknown star and the star avoids paying taxes on most of his winnings. The best part is as far as I know its 100% legal.

Ok im going to hell for saying this lol
Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry but this is a brillaint way to circumvent the IRS. Namely because gifts from foriegners are tax-free! So the foriegn "talent scout" gifts the money back to the unknown star and the star avoids paying taxes on most of his winnings. The best part is as far as I know its 100% legal.

Ok im going to hell for saying this lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It never ceases to amaze me that people think "loopholes" really work like this. Like the IRS figures out what you've done and then they just stand there, slackjawed at your brilliance.

You might get away with this, obviously, but it's the farthest thing from "100% legal."
Old 01-02-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please follow these three handy steps:

1. Scroll down side bar.
2. Find "Politics".
3. Make your stupid posts there.

[/ QUOTE ]
4. Don't be an asshat

I was asking a question about a topic I didn't even bring up, dick.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:27 AM

"Mr. Madison, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have every heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything resembling a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant figure out what is going on so ill quote billy madison gg reading comprehension

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp