Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Default 10/25 live, relatively big river bluff vs unknown on semi-scary board

$10/25 live full ring. I sat down about 3 orbits ago and have been folding 90% of my hands (bought in for full stack).

Indian/Iranian/something young limp-happy villain with full stack limps in MP. Blinds are pretty tight, I make it $150 on button with K5s. Blinds fold, villain calls pretty quick.

Flop 642 with two diamonds (I have spades). He checks (pot $375) I bet $250. He c/res pretty quickly to $600. The earlier 3 or 4 hands I played were all where I opened pf, c-bet flop and folded to any action, so I thought he might be making a move.

So I called with my gutterball and also with the intention of bluffing on a diamond. Note that he essentially min check-raised me. Anyone like/dislike this call?

Turn Td. He checks (??). Now I pause for a bit and think that *HE* could have been on a flush draw. At the same time, he could have some pair+high diamond and be calling most/all bets. Pot is $1500, that's how much we each have left. I check behind after 10 seconds. Anyone bet here or take the free card?

River is an offsuit 9. He sort of pauses and checks in a hand-wavy sort of way. I pause a little, ask him how much he has left (he replies $1700), and I stack up 3 rows of $25 chips ($1500) and move them in.

Like/dislike?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:17 AM

Default Re: 10/25 live, relatively big river bluff vs unknown on semi-scary bo

I have previous history with that guy, so with that knowledge i definately wouldn't try to bluff him there like you did. I would not float his cr, and i wouldn't try the river bluff, he is kinda your standard passive donk and just doesn't do this without a hand he likes.

However, you don't know as much about him as i do, so your move isn't as bad. I really don't like your cr float, most people are going to follow through here, and you are gonna end up having to fold a huge amount of the time on turn to another bet. However, with you getting to the river the way you did, i like your river bet, he's shown a lot of weakness and it's pretty reasonable to fire again. You probably have figured out that he isn't a thinking player, so he wouldn't think that this is kind of an obvious bluff most of the time.

ps. did you play today? i didn't see you so i'm guessing not.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:21 AM

Flop is meh, I wasn't there, but I pull this [censored] so it'd be hyprocritical of me to criticise.

I think I still bet the turn, I don't think he'd go for a double c/r unless he's really assy, in which case I think he'd ooze it in his earlier play. I almost like a 1/2 pot bet, he'll probably fold his 77 or whatever he has thinking hes [censored] smart.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:24 AM

i don't understand calling with the intention of bluffing a scare card, then checking behind when a scare card falls. i'd just shove the turn like you originally planned. but would prob just fold the flop.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 AM

Do most people agree that I didn't have to bet as much as I did on river? A 2/3 pot bet (or even half pot bet) would probably have the same fold equity as a full pot bet. The guy probably doesn't even know how much is in the pot prior to the river action.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:02 AM

No I didn't play today bmx. I stayed up all last night, then played in the ME and busted out very soon (like 80 minutes in) then went to bed.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 AM

Agree, you don't need $1500 to win this pot on the river. If he has 99 etc you can fire in $800-$1000 and get him off his hand.

Overall otherwise hand seems OK. I might fire the turn, seems like a good time to put him to a decision.