Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Dealmaking by chipcounts - thoughts

So I made my first deal in a tournament a few nights ago, in the $70+7 nightly tourney on party.

Relevant information:

Approximate payouts were

1st - $5500
2nd - $3200
3rd - $2100
etc.

There were 6 people left in the tournament, and I was the chipleader with 280k chips. There were 970k chips total in play, meaning I had 28% of the chips in play.

Blinds were 8000/16000, meaning even I only had 20BB.

If we assume all players are equal in skill, and ignore any positional stack advantages.... what is my equity in this tournament? I'm under the impression that a chipleader should always be willing to make a deal based on chipcount. Per the deal by chipcount, I received $3600, yet I only had 28% of the chips in play, which I thought was a fantastic deal. Even if I had a 50/25/25 placement disbursement between 1st/2nd/3rd (which is completely out of whack given my percentage of chips) my equity would only be 4k, and the deal based on chip count netted me $3600.

I was in good position with the next best chipleader to my left, the play being tight, most players likely playing scared whereas the $ involved isn't remotely life-changing for me, and me likely being the most experienced player (playing for a living and long ago playing SnG's exclusively). I just didn't think my advantage could come close to justify not accepting a deal based on chipcount here.

So assuming equal play, just how good of a deal was the deal based on chipcount? I imagine this may be a really easy question to anyone with pokerstove, or a relatively basic math question, but for those of us that do not have it, can anyone enlighten me?