Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: $10+1 Stars: JJ on paired flop

We might have the best hand...we may be way behind. Neither play is horribly wrong here. As either could work...

I don't get 2 arguments made here though.

1. C-betting gets you no info? What the heck are you talking about!! Now a world class player may take a C-Bet like this and jam it back in your face with air...but Phil Ivey isn't here. Most players r going to play what they have....so if I called with AQ preflop....a C-Bet might prompt me to pitch it in the muck. A raise means we are probably beat. A call means we're up against something. Now we have to start tinking abou possible hands...etc. The C-bet yields plenty of info.

2. It sounds like some are trying to wring out a huge profit on this hand. In a murky situation....there's nothing wrong taking down a small pot.

Again I like the check...bet on the turn because it masks the strength of our hand...and a weaker hand might call. Plus it keeps the pot small if were up against a K.

The C-bet gives us a chance to take it down now...and gives us info on the hand.

Either line will work.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM

We're little behind against a reasonable sb range here. I think cbetting the flop is a must. If we can even make QQ and KQ here to fold, or TT,99 to call we gain huge value here. Cbet the flop, fold to a raise is good play here i think.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:58 AM

DON'T BET FOR INFORMATION.

Make your open preflop smaller. I prefer 70 - 80 as standard at this level. I like the flop check. I would just fold the turn a lot. And if I called the turn bet - it would be because I'm willing to call for my stack on most rivers.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. C-betting gets you no info? What the heck are you talking about!! Now a world class player may take a C-Bet like this and jam it back in your face with air...but Phil Ivey isn't here. Most players r going to play what they have....so if I called with AQ preflop....a C-Bet might prompt me to pitch it in the muck. A raise means we are probably beat. A call means we're up against something. Now we have to start tinking abou possible hands...etc. The C-bet yields plenty of info.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I am wrong here, but many people c/r here with a wide range of hands... but then again stars is nit central, so maybe they always do have it. Against any reasonable player, I never bet here, just want to get to showdown as cheap as possible.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 PM

checking the flop gets us a street closer to showdown with a hand in which we have exactly that goal in mind. we can take no heat on the flop and we can induce bluffs from weaker hands, as well as go for value when the situation warrants on the turn and/or river. if you bet the flop you NEVER are going to bet the turn anyways, and if he bets youre probably going to fold, so what information did you yield from this? you never get 3 streets of value here, so the only information i gather is that youre spewing money.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checking the flop gets us a street closer to showdown with a hand in which we have exactly that goal in mind. we can take no heat on the flop and we can induce bluffs from weaker hands, as well as go for value when the situation warrants on the turn and/or river. if you bet the flop you NEVER are going to bet the turn anyways, and if he bets youre probably going to fold, so what information did you yield from this? you never get 3 streets of value here, so the only information i gather is that youre spewing money.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding! we have a winner