Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: A Modern Reading List for High School?

To those already mentioned, I would add:

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
West With the Night by Beryl Markham
Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 PM

What kind of qualifications do you have to be teaching HS English at 22? I'd like to get setup with that kind of gig when I'm out of college while I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life...

What'd you major in and such? How'd you go about getting the job? Don't mean to derail but I'm curious [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM

Long Post, sorry.

I am in total agreement with MrWookie on this point. I think the suggestion that anything which was written outside some arbitrary timeframe is somehow irrelevant is absurd.

Many of the works which have influenced me the most and which I have enjoyed and remembered the best are more than 200 years old; and I was taught many of them in High School.

I also think that teaching the historical aspect of English Literature can be beneficial. But, of course, it's the amazing writing that can be found buried in older texts that's the major attraction.

As far as suggestions go, I have to object to the OP's dismissal of the Canterbury Tales. I honestly believe that some of these tales should be required reading, even if only because they so aptly demonstrate the notion that people never change. If we take the Miller's Tale as an example - the jokes are still relevant, as is the manner of story-telling and the desires and vices of the characters.

I can understand the idea that reading middle English might be too much for 15/16 year old kids to take, but with the use of a glossed text in an education system that teaches other languages and translation skills, it actually shouldn't present too much of a problem - and is probably, in fact, a valuable opportunity to enhance skills. In addition, learning how the English Language developed and evolved is immensely satisfying.

In this respect, I think the study of older texts which are satirical or humorous in nature is immensely rewarding, so I'd also suggest Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift and something like Journey to The Western Isles of Scotland by Johnson and Boswell.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend the likes of Paradise Lost at this point, although I think it should be part of a comprehensive English course.

Having said all that though, I totally agree with the idea of updating a syllabus to encourage the study of English - I just think that a lot of people are too quick to dismiss older texts as irrelevant.

As far as more modern suggestions, I completely agree that The Handmaid's Tale is a good choice. It's well written and interesting with a great deal of political interest thrown in. Pretty much guaranteed to spark debate as well.

Anything by Louis De Bernieres and Jonathan Coe would be very, very good choices as well. I'd especially recommend Louis De Bernieres' 'columbian' trilogy, The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts, Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord, and The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman. All three are excellent.

For Jonathan Coe, I'd suggest The House of Sleep , The Rotters' Club and The Closed Circle.

Also, modern drama definitely has a place in this sort of list, because it's at least as important as the novel and is often a lot better to study because it's more direct and engaging. A few quick suggestions would be The Importance of Being Earnest by Wilde and Gagarin Way by Gregory Burke. Obviously any of the great American Dramatists too.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my assignment we have to informally justify why we chose what we chose. I will try to do so. If nothing else, maybe this will elicit responses. Additionally, as I said, my list isn't ideal by any means. A lot of books this guy assigned for class, I haven't yet read..but I could see them ending up on the list.

(1) Of Mice & Men / The Great Gatsby - I link these two together because I think I could only teach one of the two. They aren't really that similar, but yet I link them together in my mind for the purposes of this list. Someone once told me that Gatsby is the great adolescent novel because "it's about failed relationships, and isn't that what high school is all about?" Not for me it wasn't, but I can see that.

(2) Catcher in the Rye - This one, of course, faces banning issues. Whatever. Ideally, I think everyone should read it. I find it amazing that the book was written in the 50s, yet it probably would be more popular with kids each year that passes. It was emo before emo became hip. Plus, it is the type of novel that I think kids needs to read just so that when they reread it in a decade, they can see the differences in appreciation.

(3) Hamlet - I've included only one work of Shakespeare and I did so because it is probably my favorite play (though Cyrano de Bergerac could run with it). This is the sort of thing that you have to handle it right as a teacher to get the kids involved. It is a fascinating play if you focus on the plot and depth instead of the language (for kids I mean).

(4) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - One of the works I have not read that I included. I watched the movie though, and I found it amazing. So really, if time was an issue, I would have them do Hamlet and then just watch the movie for this. I think it adds humor to a story that is incredibly dark. Plus, Oldman and Roth, good times.

(5) Fahrenheit 451 / I, Robot / Ender's Game - I want to include Sci-Fi because I find it to be a growing genre. Plus it is a genre that a lot of kids get turned onto literature through. 451 is probably the frontrunner of these. I love that book. Some may argue something else by Asimov, but I, Robot is all that I have read of his. Plus, it is in like six(?) short stories, so I could choose just one or two for a class. Finally, Ender's Game is amazing. Parts of it, unfortunately would be over the students' heads and it is a 300 page novel. So it ranks 3rd on possible inclusion.

(6) 1984 / Brave New World - This was the hardest inclusion. I am a huge fan of dystopian novels, obviously. It is hard to include either of these, because I think they both fall in that "next of the classics to get replaced by modern works" in schools. They're amazing novels, but are they still necessary at the high school level? I don't know.

(7) A few short stories by James Joyce - I prefer The Dead. I read that as a senior though and parts of it were too heavy for half the class. Araby is apparently a big hit. I didn't much like Araby, but maybe I just need to reread it. Either way, Joyce is imperative to this list.

(8) Glance through the Odyssey and watch O Brother Where Art Thou This is probably my "most clever" addition to the list. I agree with Shannon Hale that the story is what is important for The Odyssey. There are references to it in literature all over the place. And hey, there happens to be a movie that loosely parallels the story. I include the movie also becuase I think a lot of people in this (midwest) aren't exposed to something that is so rich in southern beauty (the landscapes and the music).

(9a) The Things They Carried - This is a * addition. I haven't yet read it. I have heard nothing but rave rave rave about it. ANd I have seen it taught in high school classes before. Therefore, it is on the list until I get proven otherwise. Plus it offers some sort of "foreign" ideas I'm guessing (Vietnam based..something most 9th graders don't know about too well).

(9b) Slaughter House Five - Also a * addition. I just can't decide if a 10th grader could handle this story. But it IS funny, and it adds humor through satire. If the kids would take to it with an open mind, I think a lot of them would really enjoy it.

(10) Freakonomics - I haven't read this in a while so I don't know how appropriate it would be. However, I think it would offer some "real world" and some "humor" to my list. Those are two things that most high school lists are just lacking entirely. You can't take this book TOO seriously, but I think it would offer a lot to a class of 10th graders.

(11) Batman: The Killing Joke / V for Vendetta - Appropriate? I don't know. I haven't read either of these yet. But they're both incredibly popular, and the Batman one is incredibly different from the rest of the list. I think that I will have to teach a graphic novel of some sort by the time I teach in a class, they're just too popular anymore not to. That said, I haven't read like...uhh....any. So these two are on there for now based on recommendations.

(12) Short Stories! - This is going to be my favorite part as a teacher I think. Mostly because I have some I love dearly, and I think that short stories are the best chance you have to get kids to read and analyze. Here is my list, with no specific reasoning given unless asked (I know this post is long enough).
The Lottery
The Ones Who Walked from Omelas
The Lady or the Tiger
The Most Dangerous Game
The Necklace
Tell Tale Heart
A Modest Proposal
Bartleby the Scrivener
The Yellow Wallpaper.

Whew, that is my current status. I really hope SOMEONE reads that post, haha. If not, well...it looks like I basically typed out most of my assignment just now. So good times!

Note: My list openly lacks any good foreign literature. I don't know what to include. I've read one Amy Tan book, but it wouldn't be good for this matter. Shrug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,

Im 24, avid reader, always have been, and ill give you what i recall on these books and how i remembered them in hs as i read almost all of these in 9-10 gr. Also, please excuse the ellipsis etc...its how i post.

Of mice and men: I read in 10th gr, what i remember thinking: At least it was short...honestly i dont recall much other than the lead characters.

Gatsby: Meh...i didnt think much of it in 10th grade....Im glad I bought and read it though as it is now one of my all time favorite books....it just didnt connect then...i wouldnt scrap this altogether.

Catcher: Everyone loves catcher...so if you dont include it someone will right? tenth graders love it.

Hamlet: Required reading...too many allusions in lit/cult to ignore....too good....i think its a bit much (as is most shakespeare) for anyone in tenth grade to just get everything the first time through....Our teacher had us read it on our own then surprised us by having us read it in class...im glad he did as I didnt understand half of it the first time...actually I think we read it 3 times that year.

R and G: never read it sadly...its on the list.

F451: didnt like it when I was in HS...something wicked this way comes I think i liked more.

Enders game: YES YES please include this...9th grade I fell in love with it and then my teacher taught it in 10th and I loved it more and Ive read it prob 15 times since. Its about a kid...its got laser guns...its got aliens...its great.

I read both 1984 and BNW in the same year and we had to compare and contrast them a lot. I think 1984 is the better of the two choices. Not a bad choice...not an outstanding one.

Odyssey/Obrother: great idea...I never read it in HS but my younger brother did and loved it...

The things they carried: Excellent choice, one of my favorite books at the time I read it.

Slaughterhouse 5: My first KV book in 9th grade...was over my head at the time and I didnt fall for KV until Cat's Cradle a year later at which point i destroyed his entire works. I actually think CC is more accessible and a very easy read open to lots of great analysis.

Freakanomics: meh...I like the idea...just caution the kids that it isnt real economics... I mean I still hear 24 yo's quote it like its canonical and miss the fact that its not so serious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Batman/V-no comment never read.
SS's: I love short stories, unfortunately I read these all in HS so long ago I don't recall them well, I think ill spend the night rereading them...

The Lottery-Good choice, wish it was the Lottery of Babylon (Borges) but most Borges may be over their head. Maybe consider the parable "Borges and I" or "The Library"
The Ones Who Walked from Omelas-?
The Lady or the Tiger-read but dont recall
The Most Dangerous Game-great choice
The Necklace-the necklace was imitation right? I think I liked it.
Tell Tale Heart-poe is a necessity...
A Modest Proposal-ya I like it
Bartleby the Scrivener
The Yellow Wallpaper.

Others to consider:

The Importance of Being Earnest, Wilde-Funny, can teach it as a play in class.

The Man Who was Thursday-one of my favs...teaches the allegory...its a mystery/chase quick read...its chesterton so obvi religious but I read it when I was in my rabid atheist phase and still liked it.

Killing Pablo-Yah, currentish events, kids think its cool.

Starship Troopers...
Its fun/easy/quick and has many great ideas covered on politics/the individual/the state/freedom etc.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...Hilarious

High Fidelity...dont know, maybe too mature but if you havent read it, the movie is pretty true to it except the book is set in england...its pretty funny and hip.

Catch-22: Witty/funny/historical/tragic etc...one of my all time favs first read in tenth grade!

Something more adult to consider-short story or stories.. "Equal Love" -Peter Ho davies...synopsis: 2 couples get together, narrator cheats kind of/is about to cheat...they get drunk, smoke up etc at 40+...is about to go all the way w/ his friends wife but notices his son/their daughter share a kiss outside on the way back from the skating ring and the two instead of cheating just say oh well...dunno if its appropriate but it has booze/bud and sex in a harmless way.

I just read On Writing and think its a pretty decent choice, its nice to give kids an authors perspective...teach them a little bit about the creative process and a little about grammar in a not so textbook way.

Also, I really liked Lolita but maybe too much for tenth grade.

-JP

I had more ideas when I read your thread but realize now that my thoughts came out scattered and unsubstantial.

I really like most of my recommendations...especially look into Starship Troopers.

Edit to add: Death of a Salesman.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of qualifications do you have to be teaching HS English at 22? I'd like to get setup with that kind of gig when I'm out of college while I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life...

What'd you major in and such? How'd you go about getting the job? Don't mean to derail but I'm curious [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duder, I am 22 and NOT yet teaching. Sorry for the confusion. I am in my 5th year of college right now. I have enough credits to get a BA in English but decided sort of at the last minute what I really wanted to do was teach. So I get 3 more semesters of school and student teaching to boot. Six year plan ftw!

I figure it will be worth it. It definitely has been a case of me getting turned onto English sophomore year, succeeding and getting passionate jr/sr, and not getting turned to the education process.

Sorry for the confusion, mate. Though, many 23 year olds teach all over (my well known exception is NY, where a masters is req. I am told).

Edit: My major the last two years was English. I am now listed as English Education, which is basically you get an English degree (which I could have already) and you're secondary certified. I will also be middle school endorsed by the time I finish (I'm taking the two classes needed right now).
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as suggestions go, I have to object to the OP's dismissal of the Canterbury Tales.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dismissal of Canterbury Tales is that, in my opinion, it is better served being taught later. I mean, an introduction .might. be good, you're quite right. But it is the type of text that I wouldn't want to turn young readers off to early. I'd rather have them get well-rounded in English from other resources and tackle it later. It's worth mentioning I love The C.T., I just know a lot of my friends hate them.

[ QUOTE ]
In this respect, I think the study of older texts which are satirical or humorous in nature is immensely rewarding, so I'd also suggest Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift and something like Journey to The Western Isles of Scotland by Johnson and Boswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big reason I included Modest Proposal and even SH5*. Satire can obviously be absolutely brilliant and it is the type of thing that, if they understand it, kids will absolutely latch onto it. I appreciate the suggestions, as I haven't heard of the latter one.

[ QUOTE ]
I just think that a lot of people are too quick to dismiss older texts as irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
My personal concern at this point isn't that they are irrelevant. Rather, the concern is that the kids won't want to open a book that is so old and "outdated" or "boring" or whatever. And I want to turn kids onto reading, not turn them off. This is a belief that I expect to be in constant flux over the next two years of learning about the education system a little more and English's role in that system.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as more modern suggestions, I completely agree that The Handmaid's Tale is a good choice. It's well written and interesting with a great deal of political interest thrown in. Pretty much guaranteed to spark debate as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely throwing this at the top of my list and picking it up when I go home this weekend. Thanks all.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. This thread has really given me a lot of work to go after. Yay! Haha.

As for modern drama. This is a subset of literature I have uhhh zero background in pretty much. A Doll's House is about the only modern drama I've read, and I'm not sure how modern it is....?

I still love Cyrano!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 AM

I'll respond to JMP tomorrow. Once again, hoping everyone responds to everyone. Holla.

Oh, and wtf. Am I the only one who didn't get assigned Catcher in the Rye in their entire academic career (until this semester, when I'd already read it on my own last year). Seriously, I feel cheated. I love that book and I figured it was banned most places. Apparently not?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 AM

I never read CitR in school, either, man.

Speaking of banned-ness, I think a few of the suggestions here may unfortunately have some trouble in that area.

V for Vendetta is pro-anarchism (much more plainly than the film, which was a weird kind of mix of anarchist and liberal) and it's about a terrorist who kills government people and blows up buildings.

Handmaid's Tale is seemingly anti-religion, pro-feminist, and totally Canadian.

Both are insanely good, but hey, parents are parents and these may not be universally accepted (my experience with Handmaid's Tale was in an AP class, probably not representative of the average American whatever).
Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 AM

SoloAJ,

great list and well thought out.

i think alot of the additions in this thread are super relevant, but the english major in me for some reason is longing for something from the beat generation.

i know that they have somewhat fallen out of vogue, but i think reading "on the road" as a senior in h.s. would have been even better than doing it as a college student. maybe even "howl" if you didn't feel like "otr" or any of the other beat works deserved that much time.

the only other additions i could of think of would maybe be something from one of the current crop of great fiction writers like roth, mccarthy, or even delillo. i would love to hear your thoughts on the potential teaching of any of their respective works or is this just the old guy in me doing some wishful thinking!!??

cool idea for a thread. i am really enjoying remembering a ton of books that i love. cheers. J.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 AM

JB,

I have little knowledge of almost everything in your post. I am familiar with the beat stuff, but I don't think I would be able to name any off hand, nor have I heard of your recs.

As for the current fiction writers, the truth is that I haven't read anything by them either. I hope it can be understood that I'm 22 years old and didn't get hooked into English until I was 19 and didn't get passionate on lit until I was 20. So I am still severely playing catch-up.

Nice to hear from you again J.Brown. Looking forward to catching you around the Lounge now that I plan to stick around for a while (school and all). Always a pleasure.