Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Poker Tables

Whats the best poker table? The most common is the RaceTrack table but i heard that for home games where the deck rotates to be dealt it is hard for players to pitch a card to the other end and rake the pot. The other is a circle but those seem that to seat a full table(9/10)comfortably they have to be very wide which is a waste of space and then the middle is just wasted. The octagon seems to be the best seat a full table nicely without wasted space and to be able to deal/rake the pot good. I'm really leaning toward the octagon but want to get some other opinions first.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Poker Tables

I don't like race tracks, chip slots on tables. Chips are too noisy, hard to slide chips forward from track to felt, and it's impossible to tell stack size if you use the cut out chip area. Plus the chips never fit right. But they sure look nice.

If you're into everyone dealing then octagonal is probably the best way to go. I have a 54" octagonal, felt area is a 40" circle and it's surprising how quickly it becomes crowded. Both in the felt area and in elbow room. And that was with only 5 players. I can't imagine using it for 8 players. Good luck getting 9 or 10. I typically use the oval, 84 x 42, tables that I made (no race track). Seats 9 comfortably, but 10 will fit. I always have dedicated dealer(s) who sit in the middle.

If I were to go to a format where all players dealt I would use some system where I moved players. Lets say I have 8 guys so 4 could deal from the center area. After a set time limit we would switch seats so the other four would move to the middle area and then they would deal.

If you haven't played on an octagon before I reccommend trying it out before buying. Or get a cheap folding table top model to test. Heck, you could even just buy a piece of plywood, cut it in a octagon, glue a little felt circle in the middle and test it out that way.

good luck
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 PM

When i say racetrack i mean the long oval circle table. I dont mean the wood around the edge.

Do you think something like this would be a bad idea? I like the idea of having 1 person deal for a limited time and then switch seats.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:49 PM

I have a 57" Kestell folding octagon table. I prefer it to an oval table for the reasons that you said -- hard to deal if you are at the end and also hard to see the cards. Mine seats 9 pretty well, and seats 10 in a pinch, but it is tight. Everyone can see the flop. The only negative is the chip well, which can hide the chips each player has.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Here is my table. I went with the 8 foot oval. I love it. We rotate the deal in my game. It is a little tough to deal from the corners, but it is not that big of a problem. I really like the size as 10 people can fit comfortably. I am not a fan of a racetrack becaue it can be hard to pick up the cards.

I've already gotten new blinds and curtains for the window to replace the crappy old ones in the picture.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 PM

The ovals are nice for the final table of a tournament, or for just having a lot of space to spread out and build your castles... but for ease and convenience, I prefer the octagons (isn't there another term for this kind of table?) ... they're easier to put away, easier to rearrange to fit properly into a room, etc. I have one that has a nice hard vinyl top that I use as a regular table when not in use in games. The rest get folded and stored.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 AM

My previous table was an octagon, but too small (only ~48"), but it was nice because it was just a table top that I slid under my bed for storage and could set it up on top of any existing table. But like I said it was too small for more than about 7 or 8.

I built a full size 10 person table that is much nicer, but a little more cumbersome to store. There's a race track and have no problem sliding chips or cards. But I admit its mostly for looks, and the sound of shuffling chips is more profound.

However, I agree that when dealing around the table can get a little hard to see.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM

I use two tables that I made myself. I used plywood blanks, so they are 8'X 4'. I cut them into octagons, but they are still hard to deal from sitting in corners and ends. I have a wood racetrack around one, and the other is all felt. The only difference I notice is people are more apt to throw their chips deeper into the circle on the race track table. There is no noise difference that I notice.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 PM

I think that table will work just fine. The felt area on that looks larger as my table has a round felt area.

Really it comes down to personal preference. Although room, storage, layout and some other stuff like that might factor into the decision. The racetrack is typically a wood inlay between the felt area and the edge pad. Typically players stack their chips here and if you get chip rufflers it is noiser than if they're doing it on the felt.

My octagon top has two sides. One similiar to your photo and the other just solid wood. Works great as a game / dining table. And it looks great in my front room. But I've only used it for a real poker game once. I just prefer the traditional oval.

Are you planning to purchase a table? Make one?

ps. If you play other games - like stud for example - run a few mock hands to test the parameters
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM

I had an oval originally, then replaced it with this one. I MUCH prefer this one. Besides the shape, my old one had the wood track around the outside. Frankly it's a hassle. Wall-to-wall felt with slide-in cup holders is way way better. The circular one is only 48" diameter. 8 is possible but tight, 7 or less is no problem. My games are usually 5-7 people so it's perfect.