Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Your Biggest Jumps in Income

I guess mine is the typical college (~$7+poker) to (^350%+poker).

dks, nice switch. How did you get approached?

bucky, ilikeaces, what industry do you work in?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dks, nice switch. How did you get approached?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually was updating my resume on Monster, just to have it updated with no intent to make it for public viewing. Somehow I screwed that up and my resume was public. I recieved an email from them asking what it would take for me to be interested in the position. I gave them the number, they interviewed me, liked me a lot, and called off all their other interviews and offered me the job the next day.

The one drawback: I've got to move away from my native Orange County up to Los Angeles. However, it's a move I knew I'd have to make eventually as there are much, much fewer options for me here in my career.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
prob when i went from doing nothing to playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the bright side, though. Media buying is the fun part of advertising. You get to have vendors take you out to nice dinners and ballgames.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but see the vendors get to go to those nice dinners for free too (expensed), plus they make six figures. I really don't like people in ad sales. I've dealt with them at every job I've had, and they all have the same attitude (i.e. Creatives are always able to identify the reciprocal nature of ad sales and content production - without one you can't have the other. Ad sales people never seem to understand this. They seem to think the public would purchase a booklet filled with ads and no content.)
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gone are the days of company-employee loyalty. It's amazing to fathom that lifetime employment with a company was almost the norm not too long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Anyone care to comment why this is? My understanding of it is employee loyalty went out the window when the first mass layoffs of the 80s began (with companies like IBM, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a combination of the massive layoffs you referenced as well as competition. It used to be that you wouldn't "steal" an employee from a direct competitor. Now, anything and everything is fair game.

Also, companies recognize and value the importance of other viewpoints. Your company has an opening for VP Finance. Sure there is something to be said for "promoting from within" and all that, but the reality is that if you only promote from within, you will continue the same viewpoint/way of doing something. Today, companies would much rather hire a 15 year person who has been at 3 companies and can bring those 3 company perspectives with him/her rather than a 15 year person who has only been at one company. Of course it's a fine line because you don't want 10 jobs in 15 years because then you look like a job-hopper.

Whatever the reason(s), people like Tuq and me are thrilled that gone are the days of retiring from X company with a gold watch after 30 years of service.

Just my $.02

--Headhunter
Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look at the bright side, though. Media buying is the fun part of advertising. You get to have vendors take you out to nice dinners and ballgames.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but see the vendors get to go to those nice dinners for free too (expensed), plus they make six figures. I really don't like people in ad sales. I've dealt with them at every job I've had, and they all have the same attitude (i.e. Creatives are always able to identify the reciprocal nature of ad sales and content production - without one you can't have the other. Ad sales people never seem to understand this. They seem to think the public would purchase a booklet filled with ads and no content.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most ad sales people suck. And nearly all of them have no concept of what advertisers or consumers are looking for. Yet, they make sweet money.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM

When I got promoted from an assistant to a full-time salesman. As an assistant I got paid hourly plus small bonuses and made about $1800/mo. My first month selling cars full-time I made $9200. So thats about a 500% increase. Last month I made over 13k so that would be a 700% increase. I think this will be the biggest jump in my life for a long time.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I got promoted from an assistant to a full-time salesman. As an assistant I got paid hourly plus small bonuses and made about $1800/mo. My first month selling cars full-time I made $9200. So thats about a 500% increase. Last month I made over 13k so that would be a 700% increase. I think this will be the biggest jump in my life for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Give me ur job plz.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most ad sales people suck. And nearly all of them have no concept of what advertisers or consumers are looking for. Yet, they make sweet money.

[/ QUOTE ]
None whatsoever, yet they'll take credit for everything, whether they had any impact on its success or not.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM

OP,

The first time I experienced a big jump/bonus I pissed it away and bought stuff. The next time and every time since, I've made the max contributions to my and my wife's IRA's and put away/invested the rest. Real estate still seems like a great long-term investment, but perhaps not in the 3-5 year range.

My first big jump enabled me to buy a house, the equity in and increase in value of which comprises a significant portion of my current net worth.