Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: OK to coach at the table here?

[ QUOTE ]
It is called game preservation, you have to make the fish feel comfortable so your game doesn't die. This is a mixed game and they are more fragile than Holdem so more effort is required on the part of the players to attract new players and retain the fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the rare times I agree with steamboatin. You want to get players to sit at the table. If someone is willing to give it a shot but doesn't know one of the games in the mix, you give him all the instruction (about rules, play of the game, ranking of hands) as will keep him at the table and potentially prolong the life of the game.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM

I think strategy tip is fine. Who's anyone else to say what he can't do? I play for fun, and I could give a rat's ass about any "Grinder's Code".
Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM

To elaborate, I don't think there's anything wrong with coaching a player just as I would a friend in a home game as long as it's between hands. If I tell him after he loses a hand, "in razz on 5th street, a pat 9 is a dog to a better draw, so you shouldn't have been willing to go 6 bets there even though he had a king showing," I don't think anyone at the table can say that I wronged them, though I may have disadvantaged them. They're not entitled to this guy's money, or having the game go on longer, or anything else besides a non-disrupted game.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To elaborate, I don't think there's anything wrong with coaching a player just as I would a friend in a home game as long as it's between hands. If I tell him after he loses a hand, "in razz on 5th street, a pat 9 is a dog to a better draw, so you shouldn't have been willing to go 6 bets there even though he had a king showing," I don't think anyone at the table can say that I wronged them, though I may have disadvantaged them. They're not entitled to this guy's money, or having the game go on longer, or anything else besides a non-disrupted game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is going too far in that many players aren't aware of draws being favored or even thinking about odds.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:22 PM

But that's my point, that those things are all fair game.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is going too far in that many players aren't aware of draws being favored or even thinking about odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah -- this is a little more than I would say. My strategy advise would be more off the cuff -- for example sympathetically telling a player that "middle cards are hard to play in O8" after he calls down with his 5789 on a board of 3474Q...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of talk at the poker table is bad for the game. You want the table drinking, laughing, talking about anything other than poker. Helping a noob know when to post his blind or something along those lines is good for the game but poker lessons at the table are a sure way to make a table tighter and less profitable. You are not operating in a vacumn, there are eight other people listening to your lesson and they are likely to tighten up and/or play better so they don't look foolish because they know you are watching and commenting on the quality of play.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But that's my point, that those things are all fair game.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 3/6 mix game with the right group, yeah. I like that folks are sometimes helpful to each other. I don't tend to feel like people are sitting down at 3/6 to make money so much as to pass the time.

Don't do that in a 10/20 mix game, please.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM

What if the player I'm coaching is my best friend who's playing lowball for the first time? What if I'm only coaching him while we get up take a bathroom break or something? What if the guy I'm talking to is someone I met that day who went to the same school as me? Is your answer the same? If not, why should these cosmetic differences change what's right and what's wrong?

bav, I'm not sure if your statement is a suggestion like, "it's customary to tip the dealer when you win" or something more, like "don't throw your cards when you lose, it's rude". If it's the latter, I disagree. I would put that in the same category as CF advising JY on how much he should have tipped. It might have screwed the dealers over, but nobody is in a position to pass judgment on either person's behavior.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
What if the player I'm coaching is my best friend who's playing lowball for the first time? What if I'm only coaching him while we get up take a bathroom break or something? What if the guy I'm talking to is someone I met that day who went to the same school as me? Is your answer the same? If not, why should these cosmetic differences change what's right and what's wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the table, wrong. Away from the table, completely different.