Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Article: Bank threatens to seize reporters account

http://www.majorwager.com/fusetalk/forum...p;enterthread=y

Has anyone had their bank threaten to freeze thier accounts? Think its true?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Default How to get rich in the US (21st century version)

So it seems that banks are taking it upon themselves to seize assets in advance of any ban. (Is this even legal?)

Were I an enterprising young lawyer here's what I'd do:
1. Deposit $500 in this bank
2. Make small sports bets (real obvious, too, so that they'd be sure to threaten freezing the account.)
3. Ignore all warnings until accout actually is frozen.
4. File class-action against the bank, including violation of civil rights, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and whatever else you can think of.
5. Sit back and watch the money roll in.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: How to get rich in the US (21st century version)

That was my initial thoughts, but it stated his CARD was frozen, not his account, so Id bet the actual assets werent frozen, he just wasnt allowed to use his card for purchases (and instead has to use a check, etc), which Im sure in the TOS is perfectly legal. Dunno though.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 PM

I didn't even read the link, but I can say this. The banks are really fighting the online gambling ban. They don't want to be responsible for helping enforce it.

Outside the Lines today said the same exact thing. It said "due to heavy opposition by banks, it's unlikely this bill will pass."

Not that one particular bank couldn't take their own steps, but as far as a bunch of banks starting to do this....no way.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't even read the link, but I can say this. The banks are really fighting the online gambling ban. They don't want to be responsible for helping enforce it.

Outside the Lines today said the same exact thing. It said "due to heavy opposition by banks, it's unlikely this bill will pass."

Not that one particular bank couldn't take their own steps, but as far as a bunch of banks starting to do this....no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, it seems like the reporter referenced in this article is not a US citizen. That almost certainly means that his transactions are going to be scrutinized more heavily.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, it seems like the reporter referenced in this article is not a US citizen. That almost certainly means that his transactions are going to be scrutinized more heavily.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bet was made with the London-listed gaming firm Sportingbet.com by Dominic Rushe, our US-based reporter, using his American bank account.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The bet was made with the London-listed gaming firm Sportingbet.com by Dominic Rushe, our US-based reporter, using his American bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]

A US-based reporter who is probably a British national. Among other things, his name sounds very Anglo.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 AM

A bank does not want the reputation of being the morality police. If it ever got out that banks were seizing money (when they were not required), it would be really bad news for them.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Article: Bank threatens to seize reporters account

I don't see where they have any grounds to make this threat. They have no knowledge of whether any wagering takes place, they only know that a deposit was made. They called him? This transaction was flagged as "allow, but call the customer immediatly"? Nonsense. Do they even have the authority to freeze an account without a judges order? They better not!!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Overblown report, but a needed cautionary tale if The Bill passes

"Our reporter had no difficulty placing his bet. But minutes after his card was charged, his bank, HSBC, was on the phone."

This sounds very simple and routine, the Bank called to confirm his charge was genuine, then informed him that it was against Bank policy and his account would be frozen if he did it again.

WAKE UP, this is nothing new. The Bank said it would freeze his account, it did NOT say it would seize his money. Rather, a freeze is a step to closing the account, at which point the balance would be sent upon his instruction to some other account. THAT is how it works and THAT is nothing new.

However, the posters who think off-shore banking is a snap should take note of this sort of practice if they think for a minute that any bank of any size will handle gaming charges/transfers if The Bill passes.