Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Justify procreation, please.

If there is no God, then I postulate it is immoral to procreate. (Immoral is not the exact word, because given no God there really is no Absolute Morality. But, you get the idea.)

Having been born, I wouldn’t trade off, don’t get me wrong. But, why would one subjugate innocent children to a life of suffering that goes along with the joys in life? As I posted in a previous thread, I doubt if anyone is truly happy. (If I am wrong about that then, I must be wrong here. So, all you have to do is prove that happiness is possible.)

Atheist talk about spending their lives trying to cure cancer and other pseudo-altruistic goals. Yet, they think nothing of bringing children into this world and laying such burdens on them. Talk about guilt trips religious folk impose on their young!

Atheists should stop wasting their time attempting to end Religion and start spending more energy educating people towards this end. Other than ego, there is no need for procreation. (Unless of course, you believe Evolution is God.)
Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Justify procreation, please.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet, they think nothing of bringing children into this world and laying such burdens on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, we bring adults into the world, they just have to pass through the larval stage of childhood.

luckyme
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Immoral is not the exact word, because given no God there really is no Absolute Morality

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't make the word any less appropriate.

[ QUOTE ]
Having been born, I wouldn’t trade off, don’t get me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there we go then.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yet, they think nothing of bringing children into this world and laying such burdens on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, we bring adults into the world, they just have to pass through the larval stage of childhood.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

All the more reason why my point is valid.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Immoral is not the exact word, because given no God there really is no Absolute Morality

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well there we go then.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn’t work that way.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 AM

<font color="blue"> Talk about guilt trips religious folk impose on their young! </font>

Indeed. No offense, but you sound a little like the irritable teenager who cries to their parent, "I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN!".

Life (while not the miracle you would claim it is), is the most precious thing attainable! So very rare. Healthy people who are able to experience life are truly fortunate. Why wouldn't anyone want to give the gift of life?!!

And what's all this talk about suffering and doubting that anyone is truly happy? There are many, many, many pleasures in life.

Oh, and then there's that Darwinian explanation as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 AM

Being truly happy has nothing to do with it. Its moral to have children if its reasonable to believe that if they had been given a choice they would rather have been had than not had. That's a pretty reasonable thing for many to believe.

Maybe from an environmental point of view its immoral but probably okay if you just have one and eat/drink/smoke a lot.

chez
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM

It will make sense if you start taking antidepressants.

[ QUOTE ]
If there is no God, then I postulate it is immoral to procreate. (Immoral is not the exact word, because given no God there really is no Absolute Morality. But, you get the idea.)

Having been born, I wouldn’t trade off, don’t get me wrong. But, why would one subjugate innocent children to a life of suffering that goes along with the joys in life? As I posted in a previous thread, I doubt if anyone is truly happy. (If I am wrong about that then, I must be wrong here. So, all you have to do is prove that happiness is possible.)

Atheist talk about spending their lives trying to cure cancer and other pseudo-altruistic goals. Yet, they think nothing of bringing children into this world and laying such burdens on them. Talk about guilt trips religious folk impose on their young!

Atheists should stop wasting their time attempting to end Religion and start spending more energy educating people towards this end. Other than ego, there is no need for procreation. (Unless of course, you believe Evolution is God.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well there we go then.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn’t work that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with Sephus. This statement: <font color="blue"> Having been born, I wouldn’t trade off, don’t get me wrong.</font>

Pretty much refutes what you're attempting to imply, don't you think?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 AM

I agree. Darwin made me do it.